Lefty Chris Lee, RHPS Andrew Triggs, and Parker Bridwell were added to the 40 man roster today

wildcard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly sad that two of the three players we add are players that original teams dumped to knowing they wouldn't have space to protect them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The Astros traded Lee because they wanted to minimize penalties for exceeding their international signing bonus pool and the Royals traded Triggs for cash. If the Orioles had done the same, some posters would have said that the O's were being cheap! Although most wouldn't mind if the Orioles maxed out their international signing bonus pool.

The Astros traded Lee because they wanted to minimize penalties for exceeding their international signing bonus pool and the Royals traded Triggs for cash. If the Orioles had done the same, some posters would have said that the O's were being cheap! Although most wouldn't mind if the Orioles maxed out their international signing bonus pool.

True. But the Astros must have deemed Lee expendable even back in May for roster protection, especially with the amount of additions they had to make today.

True. But the Astros must have deemed Lee expendable even back in May for roster protection, especially with the amount of additions they had to make today.

He likely wouldn't have needed to be protected if they had kept him where he was in low-A ball all year. He jumped two levels since he was with the Astros and has held his own. If he can get the walk rate around 3 and the sinker stays heavy, he could be a real prospect.

Here is a good list of players who have been added along with top prospects that are unprotected.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157509810/40-man-roster-decisions-impact-rule-5-draft?topicid=151437456

Did a quick scan to see who we might target if we "grind" the Rule 5 again.

Andrew Aplin, unprotected by HOU. L/L OF, Age 25, no power but walks a ton. .392 OBP in AAA in 2015.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=aplin-001and

Nolan Fontana, HOU. L/R 2B/SS, Age 25. .369 OBP in AAA last year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=fontan001nol

Matt Skole, WAS. L/R 1B/3B, Age 26. Only hit .234 in AA/AAA, but .340 OBP and 20 HR power.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=skole-000mat

Any others?

We actually made two trades with the Astros. The Astros knew they weren't going to be able to protect everyone from the rule five. So they traded Chris Lee and Rich Rodriguez to us to basically get something instead of potentially losing them for nothing. I guess the years of tanking and having high draft picks combined with not depleting their farm gave them a surplus of talent. Example Deshields last year.

These were two very underrated moves by DD. Seems like we have a pretty good relationship with the Astros. We've done a few deals with them. The Norris trade. Trading up with them to get Jason Garcia in last years rule V draft. Then two separate deals for Lee and Rodriguez. It'd be nice if we could take advantage of their depth and do a 1 for 2-3 type of deal.

The good news is he's a pretty good ground ball pitcher so that helps when the K rate is a little low. He's probably a reliever when it's all said and done, but if he can develop his secondaries he could be more.

A little off topic but what's your opinion of Ariel Miranda? Does he have more upside than Lee? Will we see him in ST?

Roch from masnsports.com

Brian Graham, the organization's director of player development, further explained the appeal of each pitcher.

On Lee:

"He got better as the year progressed. We saw a guy go from 88-90 mph to 93-96. By the end of instructional league his fastball velocity had jumped up. I think a lot of it had to do with the change in his work program. He was in a piggyback situation in Houston, which I've seen be very effective, but when he came over here and went into a five-man rotation and had a bullpen in between his starts, I think his arm strength got better.

"He got better in Double-A and the velocity was better in Double-A versus Frederick, as well. At Frederick it was 88-90 and when he got to Double-A and even in instructional league his velocity was consistently in the low to mid 90s."

On Triggs: "He's extremely competitive and he carried a 1.00 ERA the entire season, which is really hard to do. This is a guy with pitchability. He has a feel for pitching, he throws strikes, real good sinker - a plus-sinker - and solid average-to-plus slider. And he pounds the strike zone.

"There's deception because he throws across his body. He steps toward the right-handed hitter and throws across his body, so there's definitely deception and there's life on the fastball and the slider. And great makeup. Very competitive and great makeup."

On Bridwell: "There's life in his body and life in his arm. And he has a 65-70 changeup. So when you get a guy who's a great athlete with plus-velocity, real good sink - he's 92-95 with good sink - and a plus-changeup...

"He still battles command of his fastball, but he's a guy that we've developed and it's good to see if he gets this opportunity."

• 5 weeks later...
A little off topic but what's your opinion of Ariel Miranda? Does he have more upside than Lee? Will we see him in ST?

Sorry, just saw this. Lee has much more upside due to his velocity jump and ability to get groundballs. I could honestly see him being Britton's replacement at some point if he can't stick as a starter. Miranda has some pitchability but nothing stands out. Saying that, pitchability lefties sometimes find ways to build a nice career.

Archived