Lefty Chris Lee, RHPS Andrew Triggs, and Parker Bridwell were added to the 40 man roster today

wildcard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Add me to the list of those unhappy to see Triggs released. To see this move following release of Berry makes no sense for a team starved for pitching. And today we get lit up by mighty Minnesota. What in hell is going on with this front office?

Bridwell looked pretty good. How is Berry doing?

Jeff Sullivan of fangraphs:

Triggs and Givens were teammates with Bowie. Givens closed early on, while Triggs was more of a long man. Something interesting happened when Givens was promoted to Baltimore. Triggs took over as the closer, getting shorter assignments, and where before he had nine walks and 27 strikeouts, afterward he had two walks and 43 strikeouts. His pitches per appearance were cut in half, and he responded by throwing more strikes and becoming overall less hittable. Triggs was pretty good early, but over his last 32 outings, he gave up four runs. He allowed four doubles, no triples, and no homers. It’s true that Triggs was a 26-year-old repeating Double-A, but mastery is mastery.

That mastery is what made me notice Andrew Triggs, as a kind of minor-league version of Givens and Zych. That mastery made me a fan, and I assumed that mastery would take Triggs all the way up to the Orioles at some point. As an organization, they appreciate unusual relievers, and late last year the team protected Triggs from the Rule 5 draft. I’m surprised, then, that Triggs was released in the middle of spring training, and I have to imagine there were better release candidates. Maybe that’s just my own bias, but it seems to me that Triggs has plenty to offer, and it seems to me that Triggs will force his way up to the majors with the A’s, given sufficient health. I know that this is a small thing. I know that even a sunny career outcome would leave Triggs as just a moderately successful big-league reliever. Andrew Triggs isn’t going to ever have a plaque made for the Hall of Fame, but as waiver moves go, I love this one. He’s not helping in the majors just yet. It ought to be a matter of very little time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/my-favorite-quiet-waiver-claim/

Still a mystery that we would release a guy with such dominant numbers (albeit in AA) and still hold onto a guy like Uruttia, who is clearly over-matched at the Major League level.

I like Henry but couldn't agree more. Our 40-man roster management this offseason has been bad. Lost two lefties and now he's trying to trade for one, genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Henry but couldn't agree more. Our 40-man roster management this offseason has been bad. Lost two lefties and now he's trying to trade for one, genius!

To be fair, DD is looking for a lefty starter, not a reliever. We have Britton, Matusz and McFarland as staples, and Additon, Believeau, Cabral, Oliver and Tolliver also available as lefties in relief. Triggs may turn out to be better than some of those, but it's not like we don't have options.

• 1 month later...

o

Bridell threw 4 shutout innings, throwing only 34 pitches.

In the 5th, he went to the other extreme ...... he walked 3 batters, threw a wild pitch, allowed 2 runs, and needed 23 pitches to get through the inning.

He gave up another run in the 6th before being taken out with 2 outs, and a runner on 2nd base.

17 OUTS: 5 Popouts, 4 Lineouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 1 Strikeout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

PARKER ALAN BRIDWELL O (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/22)

IP:l 5.67

H:;; 5 l(3 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 4

SO: 1

Pitches: 71 (41 Strikes, 30 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.79 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (51 Strikes, 31 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 31 Balls)

71 (71 Strikes, 01 Balls)

11 (61 Strikes, 51 Balls)

23 (11 Strikes, 12 Balls)

14 (71 Strikes, 71 Balls) *

* Bridwell recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

1 earned run over 5.33 innings.

16 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

PARKER ALAN BRIDWELL O (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/29)

IP:l 5.33

H:;; 2 l(1 Triple, 1 Single)

R:l) 3

ER:)1

BB: 4

SO: 3

Pitches: 78 (49 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.19 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (11 Strikes, 91 Balls)

24 (13 Strikes, 11 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

71 (61 Strikes, 11 Balls)

51 (51 Strikes, 01 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls) *

* Bridwell recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

o

18 OUTS: 9 Groundouts, 5 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Thrown Out Going From 1st to 3rd on a Single

PARKER ALAN BRIDWELL O (vs. AA-Richmond, 5/04)

IP:l 6 - PLUS

H:;; 6 l(1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 88 (59 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.55 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

71 (51 Strikes, 2 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

23 (15 Strikes, 8 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

61 (21 Strikes, 4 Balls) *

* Bridwell did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

2 earned runs over 5.67 innings pitched.

5 free passes (all walks.)

17 OUTS: 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Lineouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Popout, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate

PARKER ALAN BRIDWELL O (vs. AA-Hartford, 5/11)

IP:l 5.67

H:;; 6 l(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:l) 4

ER:)2

BB: 5

SO: 2

Pitches: 91 (52 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.48 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (10 Strikes, 41 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 51 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

14 (71 Strikes, 71 Balls)

16 (61 Strikes, 10 Balls)

21 (12 Strikes, 91 Balls) *

* Bridwell recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Archived