Gausman had lasik surgery this offseason

Frobby

"It was awesome. I see 20-15 now. I can see like a hawk. It's been great."

"I wore contacts in 2013 when I was pitching out of the bullpen," Gausman said. "I came in to pitch in a game in Cleveland, and my right eye is way worse than my left, so my right eye contact split when I was warming up. I had to take it out and I was just always worried about crossing up (Matt) Wieters. I didn't want that to be another thing that I was worried about."

The Orioles didn't push Gausman to undergo the procedure, but they didn't discourage him, either.

"Every time I saw the eye doctor, I talked to them about it," he said. "It was something I wanted to do last offseason, but never really set up a consultation appointment and stuff like that. It was something I wanted to get done because, honestly, I hated the glasses.

"If it was really hot and humid, which it always is in Baltimore in the summer, and I'm sweating more than normal, sometimes it will fog up. There's been times I've had to step off the mound and kind of let it air out so I can see. It's not safe."

Gausman feels like he's already got a win under his belt by losing the glasses.

"I'm excited that I won't look like such a geek anymore," he said.

"It's funny. I've had so many people be like, 'Oh man, you're not going to wear the glasses anymore?' Like they're upset. I'm like, 'It's such a bad look. What are you talking about? How could you like that?'"

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/eye-surgery-enables-gausman-to-focus-on-pitching.html

I had to have it done twice to get it right, but still was the best thing I've done for myself.

I actually think this is going to help Gausman's performance. Beyond the sight stuff of no fogging goggles, blind spots, dirt, sweat, etc it sounds like he was very self conscious of the look with the goggles. His confidence on the mound just increased, in some small way.

Archived