Duquette Speaks

Frobby

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DD declared Manny a back burner issue, not sure why.

What is it that you're not sure about. It clearly isn't a pressing issue, since Manny is under control beyond this season and there are a lot of things that need immediate attention.

"We're going to have a good team. We're going to put a good team out there. And we started our off-season by picking up Trumbo yesterday. I think he's going to be a good power hitter for us."

"At some point we have to move forward. Either you can get a deal or you can't get a deal."

"There are more non-tenders this year than I think I've ever seen. There are a couple players I wasn't expecting to be non-tendered. There are a couple of pitchers on the list that are interesting that are well-established major leaguers."

www.MASNsports.com

H.Alvarez

Y.Petit

Al Alburquerque

Cishek

Minor

Some guys that could be fits.

H.Alvarez

Y.Petit

Al Alburquerque

Cishek

Minor

Some guys that could be fits.

"Some of the players that our fans have identified with and been here, we'd like for them to be with us, but if they're not with us, we're still going to have a good ball club."

Dan to Roch www.masnsports.com

"Kevin Gausman, I think, is about ready to emerge as a front of the rotation starter. Every team that I get into a discussion with, they all want him, so that tells me he's got a great, great talent. And if he can make some of the adjustments and continue to develop, hopefully we'll get the benefit of that talent and he'll be a front of the rotation starter for us."

Dan to Roch www.masnsports.com

"Kevin Gausman, I think, is about ready to emerge as a front of the rotation starter. Every team that I get into a discussion with, they all want him, so that tells me he's got a great, great talent. And if he can make some of the adjustments and continue to develop, hopefully we'll get the benefit of that talent and he'll be a front of the rotation starter for us."

:/ Yeah Dan if he continues to develop. So not really ready to emerge then.

weams, you left out the most important quote in the article:

We've increased the payroll every single year that I've been here, so we have the resources to field a competitive team and we're going to field a competitive team.

That's not a flat out statement that he has authority to increase the payroll over last year and intends to do so, but it's about as close to that as you can get. I'm still not expecting any quantum leap, but enough of a bump to keep up with the general increase in the industry seems likely.

What is it that you're not sure about. It clearly isn't a pressing issue, since Manny is under control beyond this season and there are a lot of things that need immediate attention.

Agree to disagree with DD and apparently you on this topic. I think it should be one of the more pressing issues for the franchise and a strong push should already have been made to get Manny locked up. Sure he's under control beyond this season, but he's not going to get any cheaper by waiting. I'm sure DD is capable of handling multiple irons on the fire.

There are really very few reasons for Manny to sign a deal anytime soon. His agent is probably salivating while looking at the crazy contracts that are being signed and will be signed soon. Manny could be the highest paid player in baseball in a few years with a contract that could ultimately crush the budget of all but a handful of teams. He has probably already surpassed the Orioles' long-term financial reality. The Orioles and us fans should enjoy him while it lasts and start strategizing about the amazing trade haul that may await the Orioles.

There are really very few reasons for Manny to sign a deal anytime soon. His agent is probably salivating while looking at the crazy contracts that are being signed and will be signed soon. Manny could be the highest paid player in baseball in a few years with a contract that could ultimately crush the budget of all but a handful of teams. He has probably already surpassed the Orioles' long-term financial reality. The Orioles and us fans should enjoy him while it lasts and start strategizing about the amazing trade haul that may await the Orioles.

By the logic of your first sentence you will see few star players ever reach an extension with their current team, which isn't the case. The logic of your last sentence tells me that we are embarking on Manny's final season as an Oriole in 2016.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Read more of Duquette's quotes from yesterday's "Hot Stove Show" on <a href="https://twitter.com/1057TheFan">@1057TheFan</a>: <a href="https://t.co/VMxuz8NyBA">https://t.co/VMxuz8NyBA</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agree to disagree with DD and apparently you on this topic. I think it should be one of the more pressing issues for the franchise and a strong push should already have been made to get Manny locked up. Sure he's under control beyond this season, but he's not going to get any cheaper by waiting. I'm sure DD is capable of handling multiple irons on the fire.

He is just saying that he is concentrating on dealing with the two bedrooms that are on fire before he looks into remodeling the kitchen. I think you are underestimating to time and effort required to attend to the matters that are truly pressing today.

The Orioles have to make an offer. A realistic offer. Until then it really is out of his hands.

This. See it from the player's perspective. Say you were in a job where you had to negotiate contracts that govern your future employment. Would you call your employer and ask him to sign you to a multi-year deal that your employer is guaranteed to agree to? Say, one that pays you 70% of what your actual value is? Of course you wouldn't.

I could see Manny as a player who might give a small discount to the team, but you're going to have to approach him with a non-insulting offer.

Archived