Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If closing is overrated Baltimore shouldn't be paying Britton the salary he'll get in 2016, right?

All depends on what he's asking for. If he wants "closer money" like, Idunno $14 mil, pass on him.

I'm fine with trading him for the right price btw. Would not trade him just to shed a $6 mil salary. The Yankees are trying to pull this stunt -- they signed Miller, didn't lose a pick, and now they're shopping him for a piece or two. If they succeed, they'll sign Miller's replacement and start over again. It's a net gain in player value.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 181.766px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="673522328182104064" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe. He is a reliever. So this could be the year he has a 13.44 ERA.

The price tag is actually 4/$31 MM and a draft pick, right?

No draft pick, no QO. Robertson got 4/46 and cost a pick last year, Miller got 4/36 without the closer bump but had serious injury issues before 2014. Compared to those contracts, 4/31 for O'Day is a steal.

And as you and others have mentioned, having a cost controlled elite reliever would be great to step into close if we trade Britton and keep salaries down fro Brach/Givens/whoever would otherwise close.

So does this move keep Gausman in the rotation (previous rumor of him moving to the pen)? Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens and (let's pretend a healthy and effective) Bundy. Top notch pen.

There was no real rumor of Gausman to the pen. Not from anyone other than a fan writing that. Gausman is always a starter now. ANd he does have another option as well.

In a vacuum, I'm thrilled O'Day is back and the deal they gave him is pretty fair. DOD and Britton from an excellent 1-2 punch to close out games.

On a macro level, I sure hope the O's are upping their payroll.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles right now like: <a href="https://t.co/XSEIxM93Tq">pic.twitter.com/XSEIxM93Tq</a></p>— Bryan Mannarino (@Bohlieve83) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There was no real rumor of Gausman to the pen. Not from anyone other than a fan writing that. Gausman is always a starter now. ANd he does have another option as well.

So when we sign Fister KG will start in Norfolk? I kid, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Gausman is sent to AAA again I'll pull my hair out.

So it's good that I don't have any hair.

The market is clearly changing and so are roles. What teams are finding out is if you can shorten the game to six innings, you give your team a chance to win more games than not. The Royals have gone to the World Series two years in a row with three lockdown relievers. Perhaps the Orioles are looking at that and learning. Maybe the Orioles are going to raise up their payroll this year fairly significantly, who knows? At the end of the day, O'day is a great player that I enjoy watching pitch and you know what, if I'm going to overpay for a guy, he might has well be a guy who fills a role we need. I'm fine with going into the 7th inning with a lead with Givens, O'day and Britton in the bullpen.

I am in complete shock right now. I never thought the Orioles would resign Darren especially since so many teams wanted him. When was the last time that the Orioles signed one of their free agents that they actually wanted to keep but they knew they had no chance. This just shows you that the Orioles are no longer viewed as a bad baseball team and that players love playing for Buck. I give alot of credit to Buck on this one, as I don't think Darren would have resigned if Buck was not the Orioles manager.

Archived