Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

What would O'Day get if he were up for arb? Multiply that by 3 and that should be what he would get as a FA.

That isn't correct, it isn't even close to correct.

You think Johnson would have received a 3/30 deal after the 2013 season?

Arbitration is pretty kind to relief pitchers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering they are both making ~500 this season I wouldn't let their price in arbitration be a determining factor in deciding to keep them.

You've gotten soft. I thought you hated non minimum relief pitchers. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why pay him 17M for one year when you can pay him 21ishM and spread it out over 3 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be OK with me, if it will get it done. I don't know what the market value will be this year for quality relievers this coming off-season.

I'm not saying that O's management should make a run to sign each and every FA reliever. But the other extreme is to arbitrarily not sign any reliever who has hit free agency. Which seems to be the position that many are making here. We need to pick and choose. And I posit that Darren O'Day is one that we need to make a decent attempt to resign to a multi-year deal.

I'm good up until about 1.5-2.0 million.

That's been my position this whole time.

Then trade 'em when they hit arb 2.

Run this by me again: Your position is that O's management should trade/let walk any reliever after their 2nd arbitration year? Do you really believe that the O's can maintain a quality bullpen using this formula?

That would be OK with me, if it will get it done. I don't know what the market value will be this year for quality relievers this coming off-season.

I'm not saying that O's management should make a run to sign each and every FA reliever. But the other extreme is to arbitrarily not sign any reliever who has hit free agency. Which seems to be the position that many are making here. We need to pick and choose. And I posit that Darren O'Day is one that we need to make a decent attempt to resign to a multi-year deal.

But they did sign O'Day the last time.

They tried to sign Balfour.

They signed Webb and Wright.

Now looks to me like they would have been 1 for 4 on those signings.

Run this by me again: Your position is that O's management should trade/let walk any reliever after their 2nd arbitration year? Do you really believe that the O's can maintain a quality bullpen using this formula?

Sure.

Of course part of my strategy is targeting potential relief pitchers in the draft.

I'd show some flexibility depending on circumstances.

Beats paying Jim Johnson 6.5 million or Brian Matusz 3.2 million.

But they did sign O'Day the last time.

They tried to sign Balfour.

They signed Webb and Wright.

Now looks to me like they would have been 1 for 4 on those signings.

However, O'Day's contract is up. It's time to resign him again. I would prefer a multi-year deal so we don't have to go through this each year.

However, O'Day's contract is up. It's time to resign him again. I would prefer a multi-year deal so we don't have to go through this each year.

It was a multi-year deal last time.

Webb also had a multi-year deal.

The O's had to give away a draft pick to dump the second year of his contract.

If you would like to make a list of multi-year deals to relief pitchers that the Orioles have made and have turned out well I would like to see it.

Sure.

Of course part of my strategy is targeting potential relief pitchers in the draft.

I'd show some flexibility depending on circumstances.

Beats paying Jim Johnson 6.5 million or Brian Matusz 3.2 million.

My position is to not have an arbitrary philosophy of simply letting all relievers go after their arbitration years. We need to treat each reliever individually. The final year of Jim Johnson's career (so far) with the Orioles, he was showing signs that his sinker wasn't sinking that much. He set a record in saves. But also a career record in blown saves. DD was very smart to trade him when he did. I also would have non-tendered Matusz if it meant paying him 3.2M. Matusz is not worth that much. Each reliever has to be considered on an individual basis. My position: O'Day, yes. Matusz and Jim Johnson, no.

As far as targeting relief pitchers in the draft, our needs are to target position players, which is what they did this year. I don't think that O's management should use a draft pick on a reliever who might (or might not) replace a proven quality reliever who is already on the team.

If you would like to make a list of multi-year deals to relief pitchers that the Orioles have made and have turned out well I would like to see it.
Pleaes refresh me on which multi-year deals that O's relievers have gotten in recent years.

Archived