Actions speak louder than words

Frobby

Tony has said this many times, and I believe it. So many people seem to be trying to read between the lines of everything Dan and Buck say. But I honestly couldn't care less. I think almost everything they say is intended to be vague, so that they don't create expectations one way or the other. I see lots of people are interpreting various statements at Fanfest as meaning the O's will now sit on their hands this winter and make only minor moves. Just a few days ago, people were running with various statements and concluding payroll was going up by $50 mm.

Personally, I think you can drive yourself crazy engaging in this form of Kremlinology. The actions of the front office, not its words, are all I care about. We will see soon enough what they've spent, and on who. No sense in getting worked up about it.

Tony has said this many times, and I believe it. So many people seem to be trying to read between the lines of everything Dan and Buck say. But I honestly couldn't care less. I think almost everything they say is intended to be vague, so that they don't create expectations one way or the other. I see lots of people are interpreting various statements at Fanfest as meaning the O's will now sit on their hands this winter and make only minor moves. Just a few days ago, people were running with various statements and concluding payroll was going up by $50 mm.

Personally, I think you can drive yourself crazy engaging in this form of Kremlinology. The actions of the front office, not its words, are all I care about. We will see soon enough what they've spent, and on who. No sense in getting worked up about it.

Makes my day.

Well said, but wild speculation is getting me through the day at this point. When the O's made a very substantial offer to Davis -- an offer at a level I did not expect us to make -- and Davis balked, I'm left standing stunned and confused.

I assumed our highest priority was a top flight arm, so going all in on Crush was an interesting surprise. The actions versus words to this point are what has me hanging on every MLB related social media posting.

The actions make me wonder if DD's plan is on hold until Davis is truly sorted out. Again, seems contrary to the initial pursuit to bolster the starting pitching. O'Day was a good action, made sense, Trumbo makes sense, based on all of our expectations of Davis moving on.

Davis seems to have put the O's in 'deer in the headlights' mode. And me too.

The next action will be fascinating.

Until then, I ride the rumor mill...

-Don

-Don

I completely disagree. I think Dan took his shot to please his team and fans, it did not work, he moved on and I still don't expect him to give up the first pick for anyone. And if he does, I'll criticize him. We were never even looking at Heyward target (though many posters and all Nats fans would say we should have). Or any of the 200 million dollar pitchers.

Yes, I don't sense any confusion or indecision either. I think we are moving on. If Boras comes calling before we ink someone else big, we may decide to re-make the offer but I don't even think that is a given now. The ship may be close to sailing. I'm liking the offseason at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you looked into the lefties we've picked up, Olmos, Beliveau, and the guy from Seattle in the Trumbo trade? Any thoughts on those guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said, but wild speculation is getting me through the day at this point. When the O's made a very substantial offer to Davis -- an offer at a level I did not expect us to make -- and Davis balked, I'm left standing stunned and confused.

I assumed our highest priority was a top flight arm, so going all in on Crush was an interesting surprise. The actions versus words to this point are what has me hanging on every MLB related social media posting.

The actions make me wonder if DD's plan is on hold until Davis is truly sorted out. Again, seems contrary to the initial pursuit to bolster the starting pitching. O'Day was a good action, made sense, Trumbo makes sense, based on all of our expectations of Davis moving on.

-Don

I think maybe the initial game plan was to go after an arm, but we got priced out of that market. Didn't DD, himself, express some surprise at just how high teams were going to sign arms?

Like you, I was surprised that the Orioles came up with the WOW offer for Davis. I was also surprised that he didn't take it. I think that was a surprise to the Orioles, as well.

Also, like you, I find myself following the rumor mill.

What offseason.

1. Matt Wieters is offered and accepts QO - You like that one?

2. Matt Trumbo and his 9M salary picked up - Are you happy with this if Trumbo is the full time DH or plays 50+ games in the outfield? If you assume that the Orioles offer to Davis is real then they are prepared to play one or the other in the OF a significant amount of time. Buck has never gone with a full time DH.

3. Darren O'Day signed for 8/31M - Orioles go for 4 years when no one else offered more than 3

Everything else if pretty minor with AAA guys and the Rule 5.

You are reaching here. Offering Wieters the QO was, at worst, a logical decision. Wieters accepting it was somewhat of a surprise to most, but it certainly isn't written in stone that Wieters will have a bad season. The Trumbo trade was a good one. Pretending otherwise is just silly. Amybody looking at the relief pitcher signings across baseball can't consider the O'Day signing a bad one. Come on, man.

Now, I am concerned as to what the team does from here if we can't sign Davis, but I'm certainly not upset by the transactions you are mentioning here.

I don't see how the O's offer of 7/150 M could not be real. If it were bogus how is it that Boras has remained silent, in fact has acted as if it were real, and not one member of the press has picked up on it. The number may not be exact because of deferred salary but they made an offer in that neighborhood.

I don't see how the O's offer of 7/150 M could not be real. If it were bogus how is it that Boras has remained silent, in fact has acted as if it were real, and not one member of the press has picked up on it. The number may not be exact because of deferred salary but they made an offer in that neighborhood.

It's real to Adam. I'd say he is somewhat aware.

I completely disagree. I think Dan took his shot to please his team and fans, it did not work, he moved on and I still don't expect him to give up the first pick for anyone. And if he does, I'll criticize him. We were never even looking at Heyward target (though many posters and all Nats fans would say we should have). Or any of the 200 million dollar pitchers.

I agree with you on Heyward. I also wasn't suggesting Grienke or Price, but Kazmir or other 3-4 types as top flight for our budget. DD stated pitching was the top priority. It feels more like PA put on the play for Davis and Dan had to wait this out to get his plan back on track.

No complaints from me, the Warehouse has more than one voice in there. I'm surprised Davis did not accept, maybe they are too. A little. I thought once the offer to Davis was pulled and Hayward was signed there would be far more action already. Thus, the speculative zone is all I have until we land some new nuggets.

Talking O's is my therapy. Patience is for the regular season...

I agree with you on Heyward. I also wasn't suggesting Grienke or Price, but Kazmir or other 3-4 types as top flight for our budget. DD stated pitching was the top priority. It feels more like PA put on the play for Davis and Dan had to wait this out to get his plan back on track.

No complaints from me, the Warehouse has more than one voice in there. I'm surprised Davis did not accept, maybe they are too. A little. I thought once the offer to Davis was pulled and Hayward was signed there would be far more action already. Thus, the speculative zone is all I have until we land some new nuggets.

Talking O's is my therapy. Patience is for the regular season...

I still think we will get a good pitcher. Maybe a left-hander. I still think we will get two left handed bats.

Define what you consider the quality of the LH pitcher and the two LH bats.

I'll go first. The LH bat could be someone like Will Venable and Pedro Alvarez. Possibly Jay Bruce if the Reds decide to dump him for next to nothing which I don't think happens. It will not be Alex Gordon. As for the pitcher, I do not believe the Orioles will get Scott Kazmir or Chen. Who do you think these players are?

If we are indeed moving on from Davis, then I think Kazmir is within range. I agree Gordon is not likely, but Alvarez is.

Archived