Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only reason I brought it up was because of Buster Olneys article a few days ago in regards to Justin Upton - http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11965

Not saying he would, but it could be an enticing option to come here and hit in a hitters park for the first time in his career. Assuming the dollars make sense to him, and us.

Sure, don't disagree. I kind of thing it's a bit premature for some of these guys to be thinking plan B, but Buster probably knows better than I do.

If it ever got to the point that Cespedes is looking for a one year deal, sign me up.

If the Orioles don't sign Davis(I still think they are talking), Cespedes becomes more interesting because he fills a power and speed need.He is also a gold glove ion LF. But there are questions about him in the clubhouse. While it is true that Davis hurt the team with his Ritalin escapade and strikes out a ton, the "character" issue is something to consider when weighing the value of both players. If the Orioles DID acquire Cespedes, they'd lose a pick, move Trumbo to 1b(for now) and take their chances with Kim in RF. We just have no way of knowing how he would fair in MLB.Id STILL rather have Davis and a solid LHP and we'd have a very solid lineup. The pitching is still a major question mark..but this team would likely be better than a year ago if that scenario comes to pass.

I thought there was no pick attached to him

He's Mark Trumbo with great defense. He won't be worth the money.

He's 30, goes on incredible cold stretches and is right handed in an already stacked righty lineup. He's a 2.5-3.5 WAR player who's defense allows for more upside than Trumbo (who is a few months younger than Cespedes btw).

If we're going for a big contract for a RH power bat, I'd greatly prefer J. Upton who is 28 and a consistent 3.5ish WAR player with similar upside to Cespedes.

Davis, being LH, is the better option of the 3.

He's 30, goes on incredible cold stretches and is right handed in an already stacked righty lineup. He's a 2.5-3.5 WAR player who's defense allows for more upside than Trumbo (who is a few months younger than Cespedes btw).

If we're going for a big contract for a RH power bat, I'd greatly prefer J. Upton who is 28 and a consistent 3.5ish WAR player with similar upside to Cespedes.

Davis, being LH, is the better option of the 3.

Not at 7/150M. If they are close on Cespedes it is because he is costing a lot less than that. Really your description of Cespedes is not that different from AJ. And Cespedes has good splits v RHP.

If the Orioles really are one of the two finalists for Cespedes, then his contract is probably four years. Because they aren't going over 100 million for him.

They sign him to a 4 yr, $88 mil deal or the like... the bolded part combined with a power bat makes him worth that money. And it's less risky than 6-7 years. And they keep the #14 pick.

btw, Cespedes is projected as a 3 win player by Steamer next season... but he did happen to be a 6-7 win player this season.

But there are questions about him in the clubhouse. While it is true that Davis hurt the team with his Ritalin escapade and strikes out a ton, the "character" issue is something to consider when weighing the value of both players.

Did he drive his Moms 120 MPH?

His arm is unquestioned. And apparently his range is good enough to play a so-so centerfield in New York.

Maybe he doesn't get the best jumps? But Cespedes has elite top end speed. Statcast (or whatever it's called) had Cespedes clocked north of 24 MPH on a couple different occasions, I believe. No reason he can't cover the ground.

Archived