Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will. It's a poor use of resources by a team that has a severely limited budget and glaring holes in the outfield and starting rotation. For $150M you could probably sign Cespedes, Kazmir, and maybe someone like Alvarez, while still getting the comp pick for Davis. It's just bad use of resources, if true.

When you get over 100+ million a year for payroll, you have to lose the adjective, severely limited to describe their budget.

Where did you hear Cespedes wanted 6/100M? I've heard much more than that.

It seems that he - along with the other FA OF's - will have to lower their expectations.

Basically, he's the left field equivalent of what Adam Jones is in CF. And they don't have to give up anything other than money to get him. Granted, CF is a more important position than LF, but if people like Jones, I'm not sure how they're not going to like Cespedes.

Cespedes has been moved through several teams over a two year period. (Athletics for Gomes/Lester, Boston for Porcello, Detroit for Minor League Players, Mets as a Free Agent.) With Chris Davis, Management knows who they are getting and what baggage, With Yoenis Cespedes they will be getting some one that may be a questionable commodity as far as the Club House goes. Hence the discount in the offer.

July 31, 2015: Cespedes traded by the Detroit Tigers to the New York Mets for Luis Cessa (minors) and Michael Fulmer (minors).

Not good at copying tweets, but FWIW Roch replied to my tweet Re: Cespedes

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve ? 3h3 hours ago

Will the Orioles be a player for a key free agent outfielder?: Will the Orioles make a play for one of remaini... http://bit.ly/1YT0cN8

‏@andrewseth123 ? 41m41 minutes ago

@masnSteve if they are willing to shell out 150 for Davis then paying cespedes 90-100 should be a no brainier @masnRoch @EddieInTheYard

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch ? 24m24 minutes ago

@andrewseth123 Except that Cespedes wants more than that

‏@andrewseth123 ? 4m4 minutes ago

@masnRoch I read somewhere that his market was shaping up to around 6 years 100. Any indication as to how much he is seeking at this time?

I think it's kind of funny that they talk in terms of total money instead of per season -- certainly I understand, these players can get hurt or decline and then they aren't worth the same 3-4 years from now. But 4 years, $88 mil is the same per year as 7 years, $154 mil. Which is $22 mil per year.

Course, with the Orioles we're thinking there will be deferred money and things which muck my math all up. :o

In the other thread you said your theory was that he will re-locate due to PED shaming.

I said that was one theory I had about why he might not come running back. I still think it is about the money. As I usually do. So I believe he will return. Regardless.

I will. It's a poor use of resources by a team that has a severely limited budget and glaring holes in the outfield and starting rotation. For $150M you could probably sign Cespedes, Kazmir, and maybe someone like Alvarez, while still getting the comp pick for Davis. It's just bad use of resources, if true.

The Orioles offer to Davis is $22 mil per season, likely with deferred money.

There is no way that Cespedes, Kazmir, and someone like Alvarez combined make $22 mil per season or less. They're more like $40 mil. Just like if they sign Davis, Kazmir and someone like Alvarez.

12 million a year is chump change and it's not a multi year over 20 million a year contract. Just curious. How much do you think it will take to sign Manny Machado to a long term contract?

The Angels just signed Mike Trout to a 24 million a year contract and I've heard crazy numbers thrown out over Bryce Harper. Do you really think the O's are willing to play in that ballpark?

The Orioles could offer Manny a 10/300 contract and still get criticized for being cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the opt out the opt out that the Orioles will definitely not agree to which puts him completely out of the running for Manny for forever.

You see, it's like this.

The O's don't actually have an issue with opt outs. They have an issue with paying elite players. Since most elite players are now asking for opt outs the O's are just providing a built in excuse for why they won't spend money on premium free agents.

You can believe the Orioles history of never spending 100 million on any player much less a free agent.

I don't think that means much. They committed $66 mm to Markakis in 2009, and $85 mm to Jones in 2012. Prices have inflated since then. A player as valuable as Markakis or Jones (based on their age and historical performance at the time they were signed) would cost $100 mm at today's prices.

Archived