Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who? Davis, Cespedes, or Gordon?
I'd give him Davis' deal, or go cheaper and get Alex Gordon so we can get a pitcher. But at this point, I'd take Cespedes.

Cespedes.

That was who the quoted poster was saying he would give the Davis contract to.

I am having a hard time understanding how Chris Davis is worth $150M but Yoenis Cespedes is not worth $100M.. Is Davis really one and a half times the player Cespedes is, or is ownership acting illogically based on "loyalty?":confused:

Cespedes has been moved through several teams over a two year period. (Athletics for Gomes/Lester, Boston for Porcello, Detroit for Minor League Players, Mets as a Free Agent.) With Chris Davis, Management knows who they are getting and what baggage, With Yoenis Cespedes they will be getting some one that may be a questionable commodity as far as the Club House goes. Hence the discount in the offer.

I expect nothing but reserve the right to be pleasantly shocked.

Roch Kubatko

If the Orioles really are a finalist for free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, his price tag must be plummeting.

I checked around yesterday and didn't get the sense that the Orioles are remotely close to a deal. I'm told by one source that a contract proposal hasn't even been presented to ownership.

They most certainly aren't going to pay Cespedes $140 million, which MLBTradeRumors.com predicted for him at the start of free agency. That idea was shot down with gusto when I ran it past one individual in the organization.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/12/notes-on-cespedes-kim-davis-and-ballparks.html

Cespedes has been moved through several teams over a two year period. (Athletics for Gomes/Lester, Boston for Porcello, Detroit for Minor League Players, Mets as a Free Agent.) With Chris Davis, Management knows who they are getting and what baggage, With Yoenis Cespedes they will be getting some one that may be a questionable commodity as far as the Club House goes. Hence the discount in the offer.

Well the Athletics were moving him at the right time based on his contract and they were not going to pay $$$.... Boston had a fire sale.

From all the reports they say he is a good clubhouse guy and teammate.

I would be happy to see the Orioles sign Cespedes especially if you can get him on a 5/90 or 6/100 deal... that would be a steal.

Well the Athletics were moving him at the right time based on his contract and they were not going to pay $$$.... Boston had a fire sale.

From all the reports they say he is a good clubhouse guy and teammate.

I would be happy to see the Orioles sign Cespedes especially if you can get him on a 5/90 or 6/100 deal... that would be a steal.

Not true, many of his teammates were not happy, he was playing golf the morning of their World Series games, and he had a bum shoulder.

Well, depending on price, I think it'd be pretty foolish to not at least reciprocate interest. Again, the notion that Davis is worth $150M and Cespedes is not even worth $100M is absurd.

It's like they are afraid Scott is going to tell Chris that the O's are cheating on him with another free agent.

They never had a history of paying a FA pitcher a multi year 10M+ contract...until they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 million a year is chump change and it's not a multi year over 20 million a year contract. Just curious. How much do you think it will take to sign Manny Machado to a long term contract?

The Angels just signed Mike Trout to a 24 million a year contract and I've heard crazy numbers thrown out over Bryce Harper. Do you really think the O's are willing to play in that ballpark?

It's like they are afraid Scott is going to tell Chris that the O's are cheating on him with another free agent.

Exactly. Signing Chris Davis to anything close to 7 years 150M would be a grave mistake. The front offices' priorities appear to be more based on "loyalty" than fielding a competitive team with the allotted budget.

Exactly. Signing Chris Davis to anything close to 7 years 150M would be a grave mistake. The front offices' priorities appear to be more based on "loyalty" than fielding a competitive team with the allotted budget.

Get prepared to complain about it for seven years. Because I think it will occur.

Get prepared to complain about it for seven years. Because I think it will occur.

I will. It's a poor use of resources by a team that has a severely limited budget and glaring holes in the outfield and starting rotation. For $150M you could probably sign Cespedes, Kazmir, and maybe someone like Alvarez, while still getting the comp pick for Davis. It's just bad use of resources, if true.

Archived