Orioles Interested In?

fastball

Duquette signed Pedro Matinez, Manny Ramirez, Nelson Cruz and Wei Chen. I can assure you that everyone thinks they are difference makers.

I agree that they were difference makers, though I'd call out anyone who would say that they thought, at the time of the signing, that Chen was a difference maker. The person posted an opinion based on DD working for the Orioles. He was very lucky to get Cruz. The frustration many fans felt last year has carried over to this year.

It should be noted that he did sign Ubaldo, whom some thought would be a difference maker at the time of the signing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which players that the O's are interested in have signed elsewhere?

What free agents have the Orioles declared, publicly, that they are interested in? Or are they interested in everyone depending on price?

It seems that the Orioles, aside from re-signing their own free agents, set no expectations, so as to not fall short

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What free agents have the Orioles declared, publicly, that they are interested in? Or are they interested in everyone depending on price?

It seems that the Orioles, aside from re-signing their own free agents, set no expectations, so as to not fall short

Teams don't declare interest.

Teams don't declare interest.

Exactly, which is why the message I was replying to made no sense. Unless the Orioles declare that they went after a payer and were out bid, see Tex, Mark, we won't know who the Orioles have targeted, if anyone.

Exactly, which is why the message I was replying to made no sense. Unless the Orioles declare that they went after a payer and were out bid, see Tex, Mark, we won't know who the Orioles have targeted, if anyone.

No that is inaccurate as well. Many times interest becomes evident once the negotiation stage is removed. I'd simply suggest that anyone simplifying the situation is, well... Simplifying it.

Declaration is not a component of negotiation.

Actually what the OP did say was that Dan Duquette typically signs no one of importance. He did not qualify this to as an Orioles executive, where he would be wrong. Or as an executive in general. Where he would be wrong. Not annoyed in anyway. Just making sure that we all know he is wrong.

I was saying that I don't believe that the OP was suggesting that he knows more than DD and "the rest of MLB" which is a ridiculous notion in itself. That's just an easy thing to throw out there when someone is down on DD

I was saying that I don't believe that the OP was suggesting that he knows more than DD and "the rest of MLB" which is a ridiculous notion in itself. That's just an easy thing to throw out there when someone is down on DD

And I would agree with you completely. What the OP did was make false statements (maybe even because of lack of knowledge and not attempted deceit), not suggest that he was a GM quality poster.

Isn't the 25 man roster basically set, aside from 1B and a SP? We know what's going on. Boras is dragging out the Davis decision. Then with pitching we'll wait and see who has limited options. See Ubaldo in 2013.

You just have to accept being an O's fan that we have to rely on Tillman and Gonzo having bounce back years. We're not a team that can kick a guy to the curb after he has a bad year but had 3-4 good years prior. We don't have that budget. Plus I like our guys.

Davis and Kazmir/Lee would make this an A+ offseason all around.

This is a common trait with the O's, not just DD. Since the mid 90's.

Orioles signed Albert Belle in '99. He was a poster-child for difference-maker free agent. That it didn't work out as well as was hoped doesn't change that the Orioles, indeed, signed a player "player to get the O's over the top."

I think COF is third on the list. And the O's may run out of money before they upgrade that spot. So the O's may end up with some combination of Rickard, Alvarez, Reimold and Hoes in rightfield as well as 4th OF.

I agree it's probably the 3rd priority. I could live with the above as most of them at least get on base.

Archived