O's Have Contacted Upton

SticksandStones

Upton will be an .820+. OPS, and it's not Flaherty or Kim. It's they chose Flaherty and Kim over Upton (or a similar player)

Kim, Flaherty, Reimold, Alvarez ... This team and fan base deserves a better quality team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pretty high on Kim. I think he will be a good value (if not a superstar). Another bat would be great, but we can carry 3-4 marginal position players. I am more worried about Tillman, Gausman, Jimenez, Gonzo. The thought of these guys pitching every five days is terrifying.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
140 games, yes. .820 OPS, probably not. But he would only have to OPS .700 to hit better than Flaherty. I think he will be in the .700s with a high OBP and that would be just fine for what we are paying him.

.210/.287/.353 -- that's a .640 OPS the Orioles LF put up last season. Kim I would hope can improve significantly on that. Flaherty does not and he is needed as a reserve infielder anyway.

Does anybody really believe the Orioles are in on Upton or Cespedes? I don't, I think there is essentially no chance of either of them in an O's uniform in 2016. The only major Free Agent that we have any chance at all of signing is Chris Davis, and that will be a disaster of a signing at anything close to at what was reported (7/154). The truth is, we are a very poorly run organization.

I would imagine every team has similar players to Kim, Flaherty, and Reimold. No one has a roster 1-25 of above average major league talent. Kim could be very good, or not, that's to be determined.

The Orioles came close to that in 2014 if you equate "average major league talent" with "replacement level", but you're right.

www.masnsports.com Roch

I was told yesterday that fans spotted Upton in Baltimore with "a couple of suits," which I'm assuming were being worn by his companions. I checked with numerous people in the organization, including a few suits who I assumed would know, and they had no idea whether Upton was in town. If so, it was news to them.

I can just see DD really trying to get some of these guys (Upton, Cespedes, etc.) on one year deals. It made sense for someone like Cruz but that was a different case.

What about something between a one year and a long term deal for Upton? 2/45? 3/60? Neither of those are anything to sneeze at, and he'd still be able to fetch a good price when he went back on the market in his very early 30s.

What about something between a one year and a long term deal for Upton? 2/45? 3/60? Neither of those are anything to sneeze at, and he'd still be able to fetch a good price when he went back on the market in his very early 30s.

A short deal for Upton in Camden Yards could really boost his value. You've gotta think his numbers will look a lot sexier here for a few years compared to Petco.

I can just see DD really trying to get some of these guys (Upton, Cespedes, etc.) on one year deals. It made sense for someone like Cruz but that was a different case.

Yes, this is so much fun to go through every year. I don't know who is going to blink first, hope it is not CD.

It has to be long enough or cheap enough to make it worth it to the team to give up the comp pick. It has to be enough dollars to make it worth it to Upton to go on the market older with a comp pick attached. He will be getting hit with the comp pick twice. Hard to imagine it working out for both sides.

It has to be long enough or cheap enough to make it worth it to the team to give up the comp pick. It has to be enough dollars to make it worth it to Upton to go on the market older with a comp pick attached. He will be getting hit with the comp pick twice. Hard to imagine it working out for both sides.

Signing Upton is more important than a draft pick. If DD can sign Upton a long

term deal is better for the team than a number 14 draft pick. IMO

Archived