O's Have Contacted Upton

SticksandStones

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, Upton is a no brainer vs. Cespedes or Davis. I hope the pick isn't the only thing holding the Orioles back from an Upton deal. Lock him up.

As mentioned, Upton is younger and has been very consistent. He could straight mash in OPACY and he could be in his prime for the majority of his contract. Cespedes had a great contract year in 2015, and I think that's made some forget his 2013 and 2014 seasons. They weren't that great.

Upton is younger and is the all around best player out of those three guys. Upton has power, speed, hits for an acceptable average, AND he gets on base.

It kinda blows my mind that the Orioles are even considering Cespedes. He's got red flags all over him.

I like Davis, but the more I think about it, 7yrs and $150M is nuts. When power guys lose a little bat speed.....what do you have left? Paying him $20+ million in his age 34/35/36 seasons...plus any potential deferred money just makes me cringe. I'm shocked they offered him 7 years, and like I said, the more I think about Davis the more I want the Orioles to RUN.

I'm lost on how you can make an assumption that Cespedes played real well last year only because it was a contract year. It's not like Upton hasn't had questions about his character throughout his career. If you're going to give up a mid first round pick, you better be getting a much better player, and there's no way to conclude that Upton is much better than Cespedes. Cespedes had 85 extra base hits last year and had a 137 OPS+ vs Upton's 121. And he's probably a better corner OFer than Upton with a better arm and just as much speed. The 2 years in age is the only significant advantage the Upton has.

DD said that the money would be available for other players if Davis didn't sign, but not all for one player, and not all this year. Since Chen is a free agent, there is no translator around to tell us what DD means by that.

It isn't going to be 1/8 either.

No it isn't. I wouldn't waste a high pick for one year. We signed Cruz and lost our 2nd round pick. Ubaldo cost the #1.

Who knows what he will cost but I can live with 90-100M.

We have an era of starters not going as deep into games and yet the sport pays crazy prices for a spot that to me is as less important than it perhaps ever has been. To be clear, I don't think a team can win with dreadful starting pitching, (KC was weak last year) but the facts are more innings keep coming out of the pen every year. Look at the Dodgers last year, without Keshaw and Grienke how good were they? There are different ways to build winning teams nowadays and the expanded playoffs changed everything as well.

Didn't Roch confirm that there is money available for Davis that isn't available for other players?

He wrote this today. Not sure what he means that they will try to fix one of the outfielders on their payroll. Davis rejects ,i guess they will not have that $150 or so million to spend on another player but will try to fit him in. Also,don't want Upton on a one year deal. The year after you have Upton,Wieters and Trumbo becoming free agents.. Next year, is not supposed to be a good a class as this year. More holes then to fill in 2017.

Meanwhile, not much has changed regarding the Orioles, Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes. The club already has been in contact with the representatives for both free agents. They're still envisioning ways to fit one of the outfielders on their roster and payroll if Chris Davis continues to reject their $150 million offer.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/more-thoughts-on-free-agency-and-the-hall-of-fame.html

We have an era of starters not going as deep into games and yet the sport pays crazy prices for a spot that to me is as less important than it perhaps ever has been.

Interesting point. I'd probably argue that the true top-tier guys who not only win a lot, but eat a lot of innings, are probably worth their insane salaries. But the guys who average 6 IP or less with middling ERA's are stealing money at this point.

Archived