Orioles and Rockies engaged in " ongoing trade talks " on Colorado outfielders

xian4

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On average, Coors was worth 189 OPS points to the Rockies' hitters last year. .841 at home, .652 on the road. For both CarGo and Blackmon it's 234 points each for their careers. Color me unenthused.

Colorado is definitely a hitter's haven, but keep in mind that they play in the same division with the Padres, Giants, and Dodgers, who all have some of the biggest pitcher's parks in baseball. So their road slate is going to be disproportionally weighted toward being hitter-friendly. It's best to use stats that weight for park advantage rather than just using home/road splits.

Cargo is making too much money. I doubt we are looking at him because like many have said, why deplete our minor league systems further just so we can pay a guy 20 mil/per when there are players just as good (if not better) on the market that we can sign for the same amount without giving up prospects.

I would be interested in Corey Dickerson, but not at the price he is likely going to cost.

On average, Coors was worth 189 OPS points to the Rockies' hitters last year. .841 at home, .652 on the road. For both CarGo and Blackmon it's 234 points each for their careers. Color me unenthused.

And it's reflected in their OPS+'s, which haven't been great. I'm also unenthused.

With what Parra just accepted what is Austin Jackson going to cost you on a 1 or 2 year deal? He's been declining recently but he is still on the right side of 30 with good defense and some impressive OBP years.

I think the Orioles have to walk away from FA with one of Davis, Upton or Cespedes but Jackson seems like a no brained to me. If you end up with one too many OFers you have some give with Kim and Reimold able to play 1st.

With what Parra just accepted what is Austin Jackson going to cost you on a 1 or 2 year deal? He's been declining recently but he is still on the right side of 30 with good defense and some impressive OBP years.

I think the Orioles have to walk away from FA with one of Davis, Upton or Cespedes but Jackson seems like a no brained to me. If you end up with one too many OFers you have some give with Kim and Reimold able to play 1st.

By all accounts Reimold is not able to play first.

Colorado is definitely a hitter's haven, but keep in mind that they play in the same division with the Padres, Giants, and Dodgers, who all have some of the biggest pitcher's parks in baseball. So their road slate is going to be disproportionally weighted toward being hitter-friendly. It's best to use stats that weight for park advantage rather than just using home/road splits.

Fair point. Still, that's 27-30 games in pitcher-friendly parks compared to 81 games in a hitter's paradise.

Going by OPS+, Blackmon (99) is about on par with Parra (97). Gonzalez (121) is comparable to Upton (121). I still see him as riskier and am worried how much talent it would cost to acquire him for two seasons.

They got Parra because they're going to turn around and flip one of their other outfielders, probably for pitching. My question is, is it possible they would be interested in Caleb Joseph? They lack a catcher of the future, and the O's would surely rather part with Joseph than Gausman, Harvey, or Bundy. Seems like this must've crossed someone's mind.

They got Parra because they're going to turn around and flip one of their other outfielders, probably for pitching. My question is, is it possible they would be interested in Caleb Joseph? They lack a catcher of the future, and the O's would surely rather part with Joseph than Gausman, Harvey, or Bundy. Seems like this must've crossed someone's mind.

How about Weiter's what can we get for him?

I would keep him because Weiters is bound to go next year.

How about Weiter's what can we get for him?

He can't be traded without his consent, until June 15. That's part of the QO rules. Of course, he might be wise to go play a year in Coors and put up a .900 OPS and then go back on the market.

Archived