Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Anyone who thinks this contract will not impact future contracts is hopelessly naive.

Better to live in a world where all your fantasies come true than that of stark realism.

I want power and I want it now! The future be damned!

I don't care what they say, I won't stay in a world without love.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh Land, Orioles editor: In this wacky offseason where Jeff Samardzija got $90 million, Jason Heyward got $184 million and Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes are left waiting for scraps, Chris Davis did the wise thing in returning to the Orioles. It was clear from the team's winter-meetings offer of $150 million that the club valued Davis more than everyone else and the megadeal many expected him to receive wasn't going to be found outside Baltimore. Few expected the Orioles to be able to retain their core with Matt Wieters, Davis and Darren O'Day headed to free agency. All three will be back and if the Orioles rotation can return to 2014 form, the club will return to playoff contention in 2016.

Sunspot

Well, on the bright side - we didn't resign Markakis last year.

I hope it works outs, but this might cripple the franchise. This time 14 months ago, the debate was whether Davis would be tendered or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... the potential is certainly there. I would suggest not worrying about it at this point, it would just cause an ulcer. Davis is gonna be around for a while and probably hang around Oriole team functions after he retires.

Maybe DD will grow a pair and resign

I don't think he is the best GM ever but I think he would not signed Davis, when folks like Cespedes and Upton could be had for the same money or less.

Davis basically had a good 6-8 weeks last year and hit about .200 the rest of the time. What a total waste of money

This just isn't even remotely accurate. Davis had a poor May where he slashed 196/301/.464/.765 but every other month he OPS'd no lower than .826; finishing with a flurry in his last 60 games with 22 HRs and a OPS over 1.000.

A lot of positive talk about making a splash.

Not one of them mentions the long term ramifications or the history of inconsistency that makes a contract like this potentially detrimental to the team.

I remember Frobby and I having a spirited debate in June about what Davis would be signed for. I was 30% or more higher than Frobby and I was low by a lot. LOL. Not a shot at him. Just amazing how quickly things changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was way low. Way.

I was told that this would happen and that other players will be signed too by a reasonable source two days ago. Was told this was an ownership directive. Take that for what you will.

Sounds reasonable. I think people were/are making a lot of assumptions on what Angelos is allowing DD to do with the budget. I think between Buck and DD, the two of 'em could make Angelos understand that they need funds for more than Davis.

Sounds reasonable. I think people were/are making a lot of assumptions on what Angelos is allowing DD to do with the budget. I think between Buck and DD, the two of 'em could make Angelos understand that they need funds for more than Davis.

I used to try to tell my grandpa things that he didn't want to hear. PA is driving this ship, he can hear whatever he wants and ignore what he doesn't. He wanted Chris and obviously didn't care what was smart or what others thought

Ryan Howard

33 - .266/.319/.465 - 115 OPS+

34 - .223/.310/.380 - 92 OPS+

35 - .229/.277/.443 - 94 OPS+

At least Davis is the better defender.

Davis is not anything like Howard. Davis is much more athletic than Howard ever was. Should age way better.

Archived