Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

I was told that this would happen and that other players will be signed too by a reasonable source two days ago. Was told this was an ownership directive. Take that for what you will.

I hope what you were told is right. I'm fine with this signing if it's not the only signing.

If they use this as a crutch for "no money left" or "capped budget" then this signing was pointless.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Davis now in the fold, it appears that the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> would now only consider signing Cespedes for a deal of two years or less.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Davis now in the fold, it appears that the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> would now only consider signing Cespedes for a deal of two years or less.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wouldn't want an older player, in decline, eating up a significant chunk of payroll.

Smrt.

Congratulations, Chris, on your big-money deal. I wanted to see you back, but I was shocked you were offered seven years (I'm even more shocked that the offer was increased.) I hope you're a dominating player for the entire contract length, and prove wrong those of us who thought five years would have been plenty. Work on that consistency, and keep accepting those walks. And don't forget to get your exemption for your medication every season.

A bit of time before then.

Yep. Even though Davis made his debut in 2008, he bounced between the majors and minors enough that he only officially has 6.061 years of service time (if Baseball Reference is accurate). That means he wouldn't hit 10/5 status until late in the 2019 season.

What do they do with Trumbo? DH seems to be the place for him now. IMO

Why would there not be any room for Trumbo? He has over 2000 innings playing in the OF including over 1000 at RF. The Orioles could always give him ABs there along with giving him ABs at DH.

I think this is significant. Reactions in this thread repeat something like "Boras bent Angelos over a barrel on this one." Boras wanted 200 mil. Fielder got 214 mil. Tex got 180 mil. Granted for two and one more year, respectively. But it's years later now and we saw our first $300 mil deal. It's reasonable to say that the Orioles signed Davis for $39 mil less than expected - but the way the market looks, it seems even their initial bid of $154 was high.

I got news for you Tex and Fielder were both superior players to Davis

Hell when he is on the field Tex is still better than Davis.

Archived