TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be worried about Kim regardless of his Spring Training performance because it is a complete unknown how his bat would translate to MLB. I can't believe some of you are saying you are not worried about him considering he has no track record. Is it too early to write him off based on a handful games worth of ST at bats? Of course. But there was cause for concern before he saw his first pitch and there is a little more cause for concern now that he is hitless in 10-15 at bats or whatever it is. Still way too early. If he is 5 for 50 in a couple weeks I will be very concerned.

Pittsburgh fans last year were worried about Kang, and look how that turned out. [video=youtube;ErvgV4P6Fzc]

Machado is batting 167, Jones 167...are worried about them, too? I'll start worrying in 3 weeks if he's still putting up goose-eggs.

So, being worried about an unproven major leaguer, is the same as being worried about major leaguers with proven track records. OK

So, being worried about an unproven major leaguer, is the same as being worried about major leaguers with proven track records. OK

You know... If he still is not hitting and playing defense in May, I will be the first to give up on him.

Should have signed Yamaico Navarro (who we actually had on the roster a couple years ago)

He hit 79 HR's the past two seasons in the KBO and is a better defender than Kim.

Navarro graduated to the Japanese league this year.

KBO is at best equivalent of AA, Kim will be no better than Dariel Alvarez

Should have signed Yamaico Navarro (who we actually had on the roster a couple years ago)

He hit 79 HR's the past two seasons in the KBO and is a better defender than Kim.

Navarro graduated to the Japanese league this year.

KBO is at best equivalent of AA, Kim will be no better than Dariel Alvarez

Care to explain Kang?

You know... If he still is not hitting and playing defense in May, I will be the first to give up on him.

Some scouts don't think he can get around on a good fastball. I think he is pressing now but I don't think if he will good,decent or a bust.It is tough to adjust to a whole new situation. People keep bringing up Kang but each player is different.

Some scouts don't think he can get around on a good fastball. I think he is pressing now but I don't think if he will good,decent or a bust.It is tough to adjust to a whole new situation. People keep bringing up Kang but each player is different.

I feel better about the Kim contract than I do the Hardy contract, or the Davis contract, or the Gallardo contract...

A guy who signed for 2/7 shouldn't be high on the worry list.

I feel better about the Kim contract than I do the Hardy contract, or the Davis contract, or the Gallardo contract...

No, not a lot of risk there even if he fails. About an eighth of the AAV of the Davis contract? There's the guy who should be under the microscope.

Hard to admit this about my team's beloved FO and manager (Buck must have given important input), but, yes, this is true. Not to mention some of the trades of the last few seasons.

Dan made a brilliant and inspired move and signed a starting major league LF and Leadoff player to such an amazing value of a contract. But once a player is on the roster, Buck doesn't care about his salary. All Buck does is coach him like he's an All Star. Buck doesn't look at contract values, just performance. THat's why we have the best tandem in baseball. Dan is the best at spotting value and talent. Buck is only interested in winning and not playing any front office politics.

Kim will be fine so are the 2016 AL Champs To Be. It's not even St Paddy's Day.

The problem with Kim isn't his contract. It's this front offices inability to shore up the remaining OF spot. Yes, Fowler reneged. But waiting this late into the offseason and being held hostage is a crap way to do business. Now we are very much in a scenario where Kim could be our Travis Snider and we have the other barrage of OF filler to fix the other spot.

It's very possible we have 2 gaping holes in the offense this year. Just like last year.

Archived