Reimold/Rickard/Alvarez: Odd Man Out

BohKnowsBmore

Who is the odd man out?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the odd man out?

• Reimold
    • Rickard
    • Alvarez
    • More than one of them (i.e. Paredes has a spot)

It's between Reimold and Rickard, IMO. Paredes will be DFA or slung for cash/PTBNL, Alvarez will be in AAA where he will continue to work on strike zone awareness.

I'm personally excited by Rickard. He's young, healthy, has OBP skills, can play anywhere in the OF. He's like a young Reimold in that way, with less power (right?). I like Reimold enough to be cool with him occupying a bench spot, but I'm sort of hoping Rickard wows us in ST.

Sounds like Rickard is David Lough, but with a better bat?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's between Reimold and Rickard, IMO. Paredes will be DFA or slung for cash/PTBNL, Alvarez will be in AAA where he will continue to work on strike zone awareness.

I'm personally excited by Rickard. He's young, healthy, has OBP skills, can play anywhere in the OF. He's like a young Reimold in that way, with less power (right?). I like Reimold enough to be cool with him occupying a bench spot, but I'm sort of hoping Rickard wows us in ST.

So you're saying Alvarez as the odd man out, then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Rickard is David Lough, but with a better bat?

I have heard very little about Rickard's defense. I seriously doubt he is in Lough's league as a defender. I'd hope he is better than "a young Reimold" as a defender. Reimold has difficulty coming in on balls hit in front of him, and sometimes misjudges the ones hit behind him, and that was true even when he was younger.

I think Rickard is the wild card here. Tampa didn't think enough of him to keep him on the 40-man roster, so you have to assume he has some flaws in his game. That said, he had a terrific 2015 and played well in winter ball. I don't think it's automatic that we keep him, he will have to show something this spring.

I have heard very little about Rickard's defense. I seriously doubt he is in Lough's league as a defender. I'd hope he is better than "a young Reimold" as a defender. Reimold has difficulty coming in on balls hit in front of him, and sometimes misjudges the ones hit behind him, and that was true even when he was younger.

I think Rickard is the wild card here. Tampa didn't think enough of him to keep him on the 40-man roster, so you have to assume he has some flaws in his game. That said, he had a terrific 2015 and played well in winter ball. I don't think it's automatic that we keep him, he will have to show something this spring.

KATOH lists him higher, than the other scouting reports, and DD noted that he used KATOH comments in his decision.

KATOH lists him higher, than the other scouting reports, and DD noted that he used KATOH comments in his decision.

That's interesting that DD mentioned KATOH. In the late November list, KATOH ranked Rickard 98th. On the most recent list, after some refinements to the KATOH system, Rickard fell out of the top 100. In any event, though, I don't think KATOH will decide whether Rickard makes the roster. KATOH doesn't account for defensive skill at all, except that it makes adjustments for what position you play (an .800 OPS shortstop will rank higher than an .800 OPS first baseman). Basically, KATOH is a statistical tool for projecting major league position-adjusted offensive performance based on minor league statistics and the player's age when those statistics were accrued. But it's not a substitute for actually observing whether the player can handle major league pitching.

I think Gallardo is coming and Fowler won't be far behind. Rickard has to impress at least defensively to stay. Paredes time may be short

I think this is spot on. I doubt his D has improved. I also doubt they find a trade partner, he may just be cut.

Archived