Trade Idea...Operation: Sacred Cow

Answerman

I really think trading Machado is a good idea. I realize we have hall of fame hopes for him, and he has the potential to accomplish all of that, but for the good of the organization, I think trading him now would be beneficial.

I propose a deal with the Rays: Machado for Keiermaier, Odorizzi and minor league pitcher Blake Snell. Here are my reasons:

1. It is possible Machado is at his all-time highest trade value. He is still relatively inexpensive, under team control for three more years, and coming off an excellent year. Another knee injury will bring his value way down, as will a bad year or simply being one year closer to free agency.

2. Resigning Manny in three years will likely require a team-crippling contract. I don't see it happening.

3. I do think there is some degree of knucklehead in Manny. Aside from the Donaldson flare up, it has mostly remained in check. But I am concerned as he gains more notoriety, money and comfort. I'm not talking Manziel-esque, but enough that a $30M annual contract would be concerning.

4. Keiermaier and Odorizzi fill two big holes for the next five years. These guys are not Manny, but both are extremely good ball players. Keiermaier instantly leads off and gives us a great disruptor to start the game. He plays with intensity, steals bases and has sneaky power. He's also one of the three best defensive outfielders in the game. Odorizzi becomes our opening day pitcher. He's young, cheap and good. Blake Snell is a great pitching prospect. He's probably ready now, but could come up as soon as there is an injury or slump and probably will be here to stay. We would have him for six years.

5. We would not have to spend AAV $30M on Gallardo or Fowler. That money could be redirected. Perhaps Pedro Alvarez would make up for the power loss at 3B. We also would not lose two high draft picks.

6. Flaherty can handle the defensive demands of 3B. I recognize the drop in offensive production, but that is the real price we pay for the upgrades elsewhere.

There is my argument for trading Manny. Empty the quiver.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think trading Machado is a good idea. I realize we have hall of fame hopes for him, and he has the potential to accomplish all of that, but for the good of the organization, I think trading him now would be beneficial.

I propose a deal with the Rays: Machado for Keiermaier, Odorizzi and minor league pitcher Blake Snell. Here are my reasons:

1. It is possible Machado is at his all-time highest trade value. He is still relatively inexpensive, under team control for three more years, and coming off an excellent year. Another knee injury will bring his value way down, as will a bad year or simply being one year closer to free agency.

2. Resigning Manny in three years will likely require a team-crippling contract. I don't see it happening.

3. I do think there is some degree of knucklehead in Manny. Aside from the Donaldson flare up, it has mostly remained in check. But I am concerned as he gains more notoriety, money and comfort. I'm not talking Manziel-esque, but enough that a $30M annual contract would be concerning.

4. Keiermaier and Odorizzi fill two big holes for the next five years. These guys are not Manny, but both are extremely good ball players. Keiermaier instantly leads off and gives us a great disruptor to start the game. He plays with intensity, steals bases and has sneaky power. He's also one of the three best defensive outfielders in the game. Odorizzi becomes our opening day pitcher. He's young, cheap and good. Blake Snell is a great pitching prospect. He's probably ready now, but could come up as soon as there is an injury or slump and probably will be here to stay. We would have him for six years.

5. We would not have to spend AAV $30M on Gallardo or Fowler. That money could be redirected. Perhaps Pedro Alvarez would make up for the power loss at 3B. We also would not lose two high draft picks.

6. Flaherty can handle the defensive demands of 3B. I recognize the drop in offensive production, but that is the real price we pay for the upgrades elsewhere.

This team has an excellent 3rd baseman in Manny. Worrying

about a knee injury for him could happen to another player.

I am not going to assume he will be a ticking time bomb.

Can you imagine the uproar from the fans if they traded

Manny? How about enjoying this team with Manny in tow?

This could could be a playoff team. IMO

Throw in Willey Adames and Brent Honeywell to those mentioned and maybe we can talk....lol

There is no reason to let this play out and try to work on a deal this year or offseason. If no progress or middle ground can be seen then at that point the Orioles should consider their options. Players like Manny who can do all that he can do not grow on trees and never should be traded lightly or unless a last resort IMO.

We will get a boatload for Manny in July 2018. There is no need to trade him now. If we get to that point, I want a legitimate elite young pitcher. Odorizzi is going to be a good #3 type. I would want Strasburg c. 2010.

I love Keiermeier but he is exactly what the Rays want for themselves, and we already have Jones in CF.

Plus the Rays are not going to trade good players in the division.

This trade makes zero sense on either side.

Many valid points in this thread. I do disagree with the poster who mentioned TB as a bad trade partner. I think, if trading now, they would be an ideal trade partner. With the additions of Pearce and Dickerson, plus Mahtook knocking on the door, and Guyer, Sousa and Jennings already with the big club, they have a surplus of outfielders. They also have an extra pitcher or two, especially with Cobb returning mid-year. Granted, they are not as deep in the rotation as they would like, but no team is. They would surely trade within the division for a guy like Manny, and I'm sure they would love the thought of him lining up next to Longoria for the next three years.

It would have been interesting to see a combo of Machado/Britton traded to the Cubs/DBacks. Could argue it's possible to have built a better and cheaper team 2016-2020 by doing that. Machado is a tough trade to negotiate, but you might have been able to get three good *now* contributors for him. Good young starter for Britton.

Only reason I'm not totally blowing it off is the Cubs had high profile enough young players both FOs could sell the deal to their respective fanbases.

Many valid points in this thread. I do disagree with the poster who mentioned TB as a bad trade partner. I think, if trading now, they would be an ideal trade partner. With the additions of Pearce and Dickerson, plus Mahtook knocking on the door, and Guyer, Sousa and Jennings already with the big club, they have a surplus of outfielders. They also have an extra pitcher or two, especially with Cobb returning mid-year. Granted, they are not as deep in the rotation as they would like, but no team is. They would surely trade within the division for a guy like Manny, and I'm sure they would love the thought of him lining up next to Longoria for the next three years.

You completely ignored the reason for why I said they are a bad trade partner.

Sorry CrazySilver...was actually responding to Aristotelian's argument against TB as a trade partner.

Regarding your notion of them not being able to afford him, I'm certain their plan would be to get two good years out of him while affordable and then trade him prior to his walk year to recover some of what they gave up for him. That seems to be their MO. We could do the same, but the return will surely be less when he only has one year left as opposed to now...plus I really don't like the idea of giving up those picks (plus $30M AAV for Gallardo and Fowler).

Archived