Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

On billjamesonline.com there is a three-part study on growth and sustainability of players (subscriber only), where he puts together an index of growth based on several factors early in a player's career. A lot of details, but the quick summary is a player who is a young, fast, switch hitter who hits relatively poorly early on ends up with the highest growth index, and an older, slow RH player with good hitting numbers as a rookie ends up with a low growth index.

In any case, the Schoop-relevant part is here:

...there is no evidence that a low walk total is predictive of development problems, and in fact the study seems persuasive in that it is not.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On billjamesonline.com there is a three-part study on growth and sustainability of players (subscriber only), where he puts together an index of growth based on several factors early in a player's career. A lot of details, but the quick summary is a player who is a young, fast, switch hitter who hits relatively poorly early on ends up with the highest growth index, and an older, slow RH player with good hitting numbers as a rookie ends up with a low growth index.

That study must only consider major league numbers. Pretty interesting though.

That study must only consider major league numbers. Pretty interesting though.

Cant hid behind a flaw in the ability to make contact if you always swing? Very interesting tidbit nonetheless....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Big strong athlete, quick hands, with plus defense is always a good bet. Plate discipline can be learned easier than most things.

Honestly, if you get 20+ dingers and plus defense at 2B anything else is gravy. I'm hoping we get more from Schoop as he matures, but for what he is payed the kid is a great value right now.

Cant hid behind a flaw in the ability to make contact if you always swing? Very interesting tidbit nonetheless...

I'd speculate that it has to do with room for improvement. If you're a 22-year-old who already has power and walks a lot you're probably not going to move on from there to otherworldly power and Ruthian walk rates. But if you have obvious skills but a 5% walk rate that's somewhere that you can reasonably improve.

Big strong athlete, quick hands, with plus defense is always a good bet. Plate discipline can be learned easier than most things.

Honestly, if you get 20+ dingers and plus defense at 2B anything else is gravy. I'm hoping we get more from Schoop as he matures, but for what he is payed the kid is a great value right now.

-.5UZR this year with 0DRS, so I'd call him a neutral defender, certainly not plus.

The kid has very good range, a good arm, and turns a fantastic double play.

He sure passes the eye test.

What was his past UZR and Career UZR?

I'm not convinced he has great range for a second baseman. He was a plus defender in 2014, but a few runs below average since then. He's not a typical second baseman, he profiles much more like a third baseman.

I'm not convinced he has great range for a second baseman. He was a plus defender in 2014, but a few runs below average since then. He's not a typical second baseman, he profiles much more like a third baseman.

He gets back pretty deep into OF territory on Popups and Shallow Flies.

I think more than one player had a down year in 2015.

The kid has very good range, a good arm, and turns a fantastic double play.

He sure passes the eye test.

What was his past UZR and Career UZR?

As was said, he was good in 2014. 5.8UZR and 10DRS over 1010 2/3 innings. However since then he's been neutral or negative

2015: -5.0UZR -3DRS over 721 innings

2016: -0.5UZR 0DRS over 559 innings

Range seems to be his biggest issue.

Schoop is basically playing at the same level as last year, which is very good, but I'm hoping he can take it up a notch at some point. Still only at 1057 career PA, and they usually say 1500 is the magic number.

Archived