Get to know Yovani Gallardo

weams

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think a couple weeks of rest and strengthening exercises he should have been doing all along are going to get him his fastball back.

We'll see. It's probably at least a month before he'll be ready to return to the team. Hopefully Wilson and Wright continue to pitch well in the meantime. It's still entirely possible that Gallardo will pitch better than he did this spring and be better than one or both of them. I'm keeping an open mind.

We'll see. It's probably at least a month before he'll be ready to return to the team. Hopefully Wilson and Wright continue to pitch well in the meantime. It's still entirely possible that Gallardo will pitch better than he did this spring and be better than one or both of them. I'm keeping an open mind.

Sure, the money is spent, the draft pick thrown away, no point in not being optimistic about his future.

I hope to high heaven that Gallardo gets himself straightened out - I really want to see a return on that investment. That said, I am not very encouraged that it will happen. Gallardo came out of the gate this season throwing 86-88 mph on his "fastball" after an entire off-season of rest. Then proceeds to break down, after what, 4 starts? Now all of a sudden a month+ on the DL is going to fix the problem?

There was a reason no one but us touched this guy, and there was a reason we altered his contract. I don't see this ending well.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo starting rehab assignment next week in Frederick - School of Roch <a href="https://t.co/yJ7CoVSMJ7">https://t.co/yJ7CoVSMJ7</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think a couple weeks of rest and strengthening exercises he should have been doing all along are going to get him his fastball back.

Yeah, hated the signing. That said, throwing the ball at any velocity isn't easy with a barking shoulder. If nothing else hopefully he has better command of the 88 mph version of his FB along with the rest of his offerings.

o

9 OUTS: 4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

YOVANI GALLARDO O(vs. Advanced-A Potomac, 6/02)

IP:l 3

H:;; 7 ll(7 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 2

SO: 4

Pitches: 59 (43 Strikes, 16 Balls)

2016 ERA: 9.00 (Advanced-A Frederick)

PITCHES BY INNING

26 (17 Strikes, 9 Balls)

19 (12 Strikes, 7 Balls)

14 (14 Strikes, 0 Balls)

From Steve Melewski:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/06/a-few-pregame-notes-from-frederick-where-yovani-gallardo-pitches-today.html

Update: Gallardo allowed two runs and four hits during a 25-pitch first inning. He gave up some soft, well-placed singles and not a lot of hard contact, but they found holes. His top speed on the stadium radar gun was 88 mph, but Keys broadcasters say that the gun is routinely four mph under what is accurate.

Four of the first five Potomac hitters produced singles off Gallardo tonight. There was also a walk, a stolen base and two strikeouts as he stranded the bases loaded. Potomac?s Jose Marmolejos and Alec Keller had RBI singles off Gallardo.

In the second: Gallardo threw a scoreless second inning, pitching around a one-out single and two-out walk. A scout was nice to inform the media that he has touched 90 on his radar gun and his fastball mostly sat 87 and 88 mph with his cutter/slider around 85, 86 mph. Gallardo has fanned three so far.

In the third: Gallardo allowed two more hits and a run on an RBI single by David Masters. It looks like his night is done at three innings with seven hits and three runs, two walks and four strikeouts. He threw by my unofficial count 58 pitches.

o

9 OUTS: 4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

YOVANI GALLARDO O(vs. Advanced-A Potomac, 6/02)

IP:l 3

H:;; 7 ll(7 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 2

SO: 4

Pitches: 59 (43 Strikes, 16 Balls)

2016 ERA: 9.00 (Advanced-A Frederick)

PITCHES BY INNING

26 (17 Strikes, 9 Balls)

19 (12 Strikes, 7 Balls)m

14 (14 Strikes, 0 Balls)

That's not good, I pray he gets better fast.

That's not good, I pray he gets better fast.

He has said the same sort of thing we have heard before from Chen and others. He was working on his fastball command and the lineup was very eager to be facing a major leaguer.

The results might mean something and might not.

Archived