Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

Markakis has failed to get on base at a .360 clip in three of the last five years and now he's 32. His career mark is .359. His Steamer projection is for a .340.

And his defensive metrics are poor. Many blamed that on some weird OPACY UZR bias, but he had worse marks with the Braves than he did with the '14 Orioles.

Nick is a .700 OPS RFer with -10 defense. That's Dariel Alvarez. Or Travis Snider. Or Mark Trumbo, if you knock off a bit of defense and add some offense and just play him every day in RF.

He was battling injuries the down years he fell off, there are 8 other seasons that say he is a .350 guy at worst, with the potential to be in the .370 range. Like he was last year at age 31 when healthy.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Markakis has an established level of 1.5 wins. Assume half a win a year decline, so it's reasonable to assume that the rest of his career will be worth three wins, or a little over $21M.

Maybe today is 30% overpayment day, and it's fine to take on a 3/33 deal for three wins, plus whatever prospect(s) the Braves want.

But I still fail to see the utility in paying market rates for 1-ish win players. As I mentioned in the other nearly identical thread Dariel Alvarez has a better 2016 Steamer forecast.

Thanks for spreading some Alvarez love! Much needed. I like him from what I saw of him this year in the minors.

I love Kakes and would love to see him back....on the cheap.

1) Because they might still be in the running for a good outfielder?

2) Because Nick's 2016 Steamer projection is to be a worse hitter than Dariel Alvarez, who will cost $500k and no prospects?

3) Because nostalgia isn't a valid teambuilding strategy?

Well, as long as they're handing out bad contracts we might as well take on another while giving up prospects from a thin system.

Sign me up!

He was battling injuries the down years he fell off, there are 8 other seasons that say he is a .350 guy at worst, with the potential to be in the .370 range. Like he was last year at age 31 when healthy.

If he's been injured often in his 20s odds are he's not going to be very healthy in his 30s. Besides that, he'll decline anyway. Last year he had the 2nd-best BABIP of his career, regress to his career mark (or worse his .290-something mark from his last two years in Baltimore) and his OBP is below .350. And that's his best trait. His ISO is under .100, he has negative baserunning value, and he's a -10 defender.

Thanks for spreading some Alvarez love! Much needed. I like him from what I saw of him this year in the minors.

I love Kakes and would love to see him back....on the cheap.

All I'm saying is that Alvarez would probably match Markakis' .700 OPS and middling defense, plus he'd be cheap. Not sure he could match the beard.

The Braves are rebuilding, but they aren't idiots. They aren't going to dump him and the Orioles don't need him.

Oh, wait. They didn't need to offer Davis more than their original offer either. Heck, Nick Markakis is probably headed to Baltimore as we speak.

The Braves are rebuilding, but they aren't idiots. They aren't going to dump him and the Orioles don't need him.

Oh, wait. They didn't need to offer Davis more than their original offer either. Heck, Nick Markakis is probably headed here as we speak.

He was a bad signing for a rebuilding team from day one.

If the guy in charge wasn't nursing a man crush...

All I'm saying is that Alvarez would probably match Markakis' .700 OPS and middling defense, plus he'd be cheap. Not sure he could match the beard.

He has a gun in the OF just like Nick, Buck likes a gun out there...speaking of guns in the OF...where is Delmon Young? Did he sign with anyone?

Markakis has failed to get on base at a .360 clip in three of the last five years and now he's 32. His career mark is .359. His Steamer projection is for a .340.

And his defensive metrics are poor. Many blamed that on some weird OPACY UZR bias, but he had worse marks with the Braves than he did with the '14 Orioles.

Nick is a .700 OPS RFer with -10 defense. That's Dariel Alvarez. Or Travis Snider. Or Mark Trumbo, if you knock off a bit of defense and add some offense and just play him every day in RF.

This should be cut and paste and posted every time a fan brings up Markakis as a possibility!

Archived