Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is that time of year where optimism rules over reason. This is like Cincinnati's version of the "Chris Tillman is ripped" article. I still want us to go out and get him though.

Indeed. Same with the Braves describing Markakis as in fantastic shape this spring. You hear the same stuff every March. Only way to prove it is to deliver when the games start to count.

Indeed. Same with the Braves describing Markakis as in fantastic shape this spring. You hear the same stuff every March. Only way to prove it is to deliver when the games start to count.

Yea every year, some guy comes in 30lbs lighter or he put on 15lbs of pure muscle. Get real. If all these things were true half of these guys would look like NFL players. The spring is a time to put positive spins on things and half of the teams have a shot.

For a team that expects to contend, the O's corner outfield situation is borderline ridiculous.

As bad as the O's corner outfield production turned out to be last season, it didn't look half bad going into the season. They had Steve Pearce coming off a good year, Delmon Young coming off a good year, Travis Snider coming off a good year, and Alejandro De Aza who had played well down the stretch with the Orioles and who had a decent track record. All these guys fell off a cliff, but it wasn't ridiculous on DD's part to think that he could get reasonable production from that group.

This year, they have a guy coming over from KBO, a rule V pick with 100 at bats at AAA, a fragile journeyman, and an overage prospect who hasn't hit much at AAA. Stranger things have happened, but it would require an extreme amount of orange kool-aid to believe that you will get reasonable production from this group.

It's one thing to wind up getting sub-replacement level production from LF and RF. It's another thing to be sitting on March 7 expecting that you are going to get sub-replacement level production from LF and RF. That's the kind of roster construction you would expect from an expansion team.

For a team that expects to contend, the O's corner outfield situation is borderline ridiculous.

As bad as the O's corner outfield production turned out to be last season, it didn't look half bad going into the season. They had Steve Pearce coming off a good year, Delmon Young coming off a good year, Travis Snider coming off a good year, and Alejandro De Aza who had played well down the stretch with the Orioles and who had a decent track record. All these guys fell off a cliff, but it wasn't ridiculous on DD's part to think that he could get reasonable production from that group.

This year, they have a guy coming over from KBO, a rule V pick with 100 at bats at AAA, a fragile journeyman, and an overage prospect who hasn't hit much at AAA. Stranger things have happened, but it would require an extreme amount of orange kool-aid to believe that you will get reasonable production from this group.

It's one thing to wind up getting sub-replacement level production from LF and RF. It's another thing to be sitting on March 7 expecting that you are going to get sub-replacement level production from LF and RF. That's the kind of roster construction you would expect from an expansion team.

I am pretty worried about it. Trumbo is an offensive upgrade whether he plays DH or OF, but his defense isn't anything to write home about and otherwise we have an awful lot of question marks. It could turn out better than last year, but there's a reasonable chance that it won't, and that's pretty pathetic. Having Fowler blow up in our face was a huge blow.

I think a lot of folks here agree wholeheartedly. Heck, the O's agreed, too - it's why they tried to sign Dexter Fowler.

I think that right now it's just a matter of the FO coming to terms with the fact that the only card left to play is trading for Jay Bruce. The right fit was Fowler, and he's off the table. Austin Jackson wanted to play centerfield. Pedro Alvarez wants to play first base. Bruce is available and can be plugged into RF right away. Add him and I think it's OK to let the hodgepodge compete for LF.

1. What's the motivation for the Reds to trade him?

2. Why does anyone think the O's want to add 12.5 m contract plus a 1M buyout or take on 13.5M for next year's team option?

3. What do the Orioles have to give up for a possible 1 year rental?

1. What's the motivation for the Reds to trade him?
  2. Why does anyone think the O's want to add 12.5 m contract plus a 1M buyout or take on 13.5M for next year's team option?
  3. What do the Orioles have to give up for a possible 1 year rental?

1) It is thought that they are in total rebuild and want to get out from under all contracts.

2) I , for one, do not think it would be a good idea to trade players from the minors and add contract to acquire a possible fill in right field. Add to this the player that would need to be removed from the forty man roster.

3) About two of the middle ranked players, preferably pitchers. Need to be players that are cost controlled and roster controlled. (Players not on the forty or have all three options remaining)

The above is MY OPINION.

Yeah, pretty much. Infield looks good, save for paying Hardy to be injured. CF and DH will produce, too. We're going to give the majority of C starts to a guy that may be the second best C on the team. Whatever. Like that bullpen.

The starters scare the bejesus out of me. Small glimmer of hope with Bundy and Harvey looking good early on but I simply do not trust their health to last.

It's one thing for the season to hang on the rotation but with COF being a huge mess we have real problems. I run projects at work. We have what is known as "the two miracle rule". It's okay to work on something that requires a miracle (or, really, something with a low chance of happening) because you sometimes have to take chances. But we never, ever start something that needs two miracles to be successful. That's your 2016 Orioles right now.

Yeah, pretty much. Infield looks good, save for paying Hardy to be injured. CF and DH will produce, too. We're going to give the majority of C starts to a guy that may be the second best C on the team. Whatever. Like that bullpen.

The starters scare the bejesus out of me. Small glimmer of hope with Bundy and Harvey looking good early on but I simply do not trust their health to last.

It's one thing for the season to hang on the rotation but with COF being a huge mess we have real problems. I run projects at work. We have what is known as "the two miracle rule". It's okay to work on something that requires a miracle (or, really, something with a low chance of happening) because you sometimes have to take chances. But we never, ever start something that needs two miracles to be successful. That's your 2016 Orioles right now.

Good point on "The Two Miracle Rule".

"The Two Miracle Birds " just doesn't have the same ring as "The Miracle Mets".

I'm leaning pessimistic again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Reds are in full-on rebuild mode.

So they are willing to take on young players, but won't they hold out for quality over quantity?

Might they get better value at the trade deadline than during ST?

The longer they don't trade him, the less time the team that wants him would have him under control and, presumably, the less they want to give up in return.

The longer a team waits to trade for him the lilkely hood that he is needed by a certain team may be less than now and you may also end up with more teams wanting to unload high end players for those that have pushed for a roster spot.

The July trades are double edged. If you are looking, you may be bidding against other teams OR if you are selling, there may be a glut of players on the market.

Archived