Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Rickard a double, then caught stealing 3rd.

2-2, single, walk, double, stolen base, and a caught stealing.

Wow, he tried to steal third? I like him. We need him leading off for us. If this is what he brings, I think he's more valuable than Trumbo easily. I don't think Buck agrees, though.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree completely about Reimold. I was pulling for him for so long that I barely even realized he was now in his 30's. I don't know how he managed to get into our hearts without really doing anything, but that's what happened and it's just time to let it go. We need to move on. However, I didn't really like Pearce to repeat either. The odds were that he wouldn't. If only he had the pics Nolan has, huh? :rofl:

Awesome rookie year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reimono01.shtml

then flashes of great play thereafter. I don't think it's fair at all to say he's never done anything. He's got a .762 OPS in 1100+ PAs with the Orioles.

Rickard is not David Lough and somehow, some way, Rickard will play. He is too good to just waste away on the bench. People seem to be forgetting that Trumbo is no sure thing for success in right field, either. Rickard is also ahead of Reimold in priority. If he's not, something is wrong because he is clearly better and would fill two needed holes; the leadoff hitter we've been lacking for seven years and an every day outfielder that can play all three positions. Reimold can only play two and can't stay healthy.

You're reading a lot into Rickard's 30? spring plate appearances. I hope he's great. But his minor league OPS is .789. In 2014 he had a .633 OPS in AA. At 23 David Lough hit .320 and .333 in A and AA, not unlike Rickard. Lough had/has a lot more power than Rickard.

Rickard should make the team but his advantages over Reimold aren't nearly so clear-cut as two weeks of spring training might suggest.

Awesome rookie year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reimono01.shtml

then flashes of great play thereafter. I don't think it's fair at all to say he's never done anything. He's got a .762 OPS in 1100+ PAs with the Orioles.

I should say nothing significant over a long period of time entirely because he can't stay healthy. Short stints don't mean all that much if you're only on the field for less than two months a year.

You're reading a lot into Rickard's 30? spring plate appearances. I hope he's great. But his minor league OPS is .789. In 2014 he had a .633 OPS in AA. At 23 David Lough hit .320 and .333 in A and AA, not unlike Rickard. Lough had/has a lot more power than Rickard.

Rickard should make the team but his advantages over Reimold aren't nearly so clear-cut as two weeks of spring training might suggest.

Power is trivial. That is not Rickard's game and he is a better hitter than Lough is and he is better at stealing bases. Lough's speed never translated to stolen bases while Rickard's does. I really don't see the same player, but anything can happen in baseball I realize that. Rickard is doing right now what he's been doing for the last year in the minors and in winter ball. He is showing that he is too good to sit on the bench and be used like Lough was. Lough was a late inning replacement because that was his ceiling. It seems at this point that Rickard's ceiling is a lot higher than that and he should be given the chance to prove it one way or the other. OPS for players like Rickard is misleading. Power isn't his game and never was. It's OBP, disrupting and distracting the rhythms of opposing pitchers, tablesetting and stealing bases. OPS doesn't touch on those things.

I should say nothing significant over a long period of time entirely because he can't stay healthy. Short stints don't mean all that much if you're only on the field for less than two months a year.

Maybe Rickard signed late or sat the bench or something but his games played read 47, 127, 68, and 117.

Power is trivial. That is not Rickard's game and he is a better hitter than Lough is and he is better at stealing bases. Lough's speed never translated to stolen bases while Rickard's does. I really don't see the same player, but anything can happen in baseball I realize that. Rickard is doing right now what he's been doing for the last year in the minors and in winter ball. He is showing that he is too good to sit on the bench and be used like Lough was. Lough was a late inning replacement because that was his ceiling. It seems at this point that Rickard's ceiling is a lot higher than that and he should be given the chance to prove it one way or the other. OPS for players like Rickard is misleading. Power isn't his game and never was. It's OBP, disrupting and distracting the rhythms of opposing pitchers, tablesetting and stealing bases. OPS doesn't touch on those things.

Uh, no. Power is very important to translating performance as you progress to higher levels. Rickard isn't going to BABIP .400 in the majors as he did in AAA, and he's not going to walk in 15% of his PAs with a sub-.100 ISO. The idea that he's well ahead of David Lough at similar ages isn't apparent in the record. Rickard may be better than Lough, have a higher ceiling, but we'll see.

Don't bet on hot springs. Just don't. Rickard makes the team because he fills Lough's role. Not because they think he's the new Ichiro or Brett Butler or something. I hope he is. But that's unlikely.

I throw out Rickard's home run and all that. But he's worked the count in damn near every game he's played in, and that jives with his "game". He's made contact (something Lough doesn't do) and had some B-Rob-esque scrappy ABs (something Lough doesn't do). Plus the good defense and the good baserunning (something Lough was never good at despite his speed).

No one is saying he's the leadoff savior, but I think it's certainly easy to see a world in which he's a better player than David Lough right now. Remains to be seen, obviously.

This. I'm not anointing Rickard as some superstar in the making, all I am saying right now is he is proving to be a better player than Lough in many respects. Whether or not that continues is yet to be seen, but he has earned the chance to prove it one way or the other and he can't do that sitting on the bench and being used the way Lough was.

Rickard appears to be tighting his grip on the starting left fielders job with every game that goes by. I would not be unhappy if it continues that way right through opening day.

Having his defense in left could help the O's carry Trumbo's defense in right. He finds ways to get on base which is a skill the O's need.

Rickard appears to be tighting his grip on the starting left fielders job with every game that goes by. I would not be unhappy if it continues that way right through opening day.

Having his defense in left could help the O's carry Trumbo's defense in right. He finds ways to get on base which is a skill the O's need.

Richard has a career minor league ISO of .114. Everybody is talking about the great season he had last year but he still only had an ISO of .126. It's almost a certainly that his ISO in the majors will be well below .100. He'll probably need to hit at least .290 to even have an OPS above .750. Basically, he has no business competing for a corner OF spot on a major league team. I do think he'll make a very good 4th OF. They could use Rickard as a late inning defensive replacement for Trumbo plus he's one of the few players with speed and ability to steal bases.

Richard has a career minor league ISO of .114. Everybody is talking about the great season he had last year but he still only had an ISO of .126. It's almost a certainly that his ISO in the majors will be well below .100. He'll probably need to hit at least .290 to even have an OPS above .750. Basically, he has no business competing for a corner OF spot on a major league team. I do think he'll make a very good 4th OF. They could use Rickard as a late inning defensive replacement for Trumbo plus he's one of the few players with speed and ability to steal bases.

Who on our team, do you like over him? Reimold? Kim?

I will not put so much weight on what Rickard did for 2012-14. In 480 plate appearances last year at A+/AA/AAA he did just what he is doing now. Players do develop.

I can see why some organizations would not want him. He has very little power. But the O's don't need him to have power. Just get on base and play good defense.

Archived