Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He absolutely has to stick. I'm not convinced he's the real deal yet, but it's definitely encouraging. Give him a chance to keep proving himself one way or the other, though that's not the same as making him an every day player from the jump. Fits and bursts here and there though.

He absolutely has to stick. I'm not convinced he's the real deal yet, but it's definitely encouraging. Give him a chance to keep proving himself one way or the other, though that's not the same as making him an every day player from the jump. Fits and bursts here and there though.

They clearly liked him enough to take him in the rule 5 and he's done nothing to dispel that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did Fox take walks, work counts, hit to all fields, play defense, and steal bases?

No. Not my point. Flaherty was mashing this spring, too.

Small sample size. I'd rather be hesitant and be pleasantly surprised than go all in on a possible flash in the pan. I want him to succeed. The O's need him to.

Here is what I like, he is the anti David Lough. He plays the game to his strength . Doesn't hack at everything and actually knows how to steal a base.

I have no idea how good he will hit but for an extra OF role he already looks better to me than Lough.

Rickard is this spring's Jimmy Paredes, EXCEPT that he can play defense. We'll see how he does when the bell rings. He deserves the chance to take the job and keep it.

And that is why I like him. If he can develop into more than that is great. For now having a player off the bench with a different skill set is nice to see. I wonder if he can bunt at all?

The thing about Rickard isn't just the numbers, he looks good at the plate, stays within himself well, takes what he's given doesn't try to do too much, has good AB. He plays within himself well and seems to have a high baseball IQ. He's great defensively and runs the bases well.

Exactly. Even if bat goes colds, there is value.

Jake Fox.

Let's not get overjoyed at a small sample size. I am pulling for the kid, though. About time the O's had a legit outfielder not named Jones or Markakis.

Kind of weird to throw out the "about time" comment with markakis considering we've played one season without him.

Kind of weird to throw out the "about time" comment with markakis considering we've played one season without him.

Hard not to think about Markakis with this thread. Based on WAR many said how easily he could be replaced. Two seasons later there are still questions.

All this talk about not buying into Rickard is really bothering me. Too many Jake Fox and Jimmy Paredes comps. I really don't care. The kid has played well enough to have earned a shot at starting. What do we have to lose if he gets the nod on OD? Give him a few weeks out there and see if his success carries over. I would hate to see his confidence in himself and the organization shot simply because management tries to get cute and make him a defensive replacement. I would rather have his glove out there for an additional 6-7 innings each game. Who else has really staked claim at the starting spot? I for one don't see a better option at the moment. Sure, his production may fade as we get into the games that count, but no one will really know that until we see it happen. We may have gotten incredibly lucky in landing this kid. Let's see what he can do!

All this talk about not buying into Rickard is really bothering me. Too many Jake Fox and Jimmy Paredes comps. I really don't care. The kid has played well enough to have earned a shot at starting. What do we have to lose if he gets the nod on OD? Give him a few weeks out there and see if his success carries over. I would hate to see his confidence in himself and the organization shot simply because management tries to get cute and make him a defensive replacement. I would rather have his glove out there for an additional 6-7 innings each game. Who else has really staked claim at the starting spot? I for one don't see a better option at the moment. Sure, his production may fade as we get into the games that count, but no one will really know that until we see it happen. We may have gotten incredibly lucky in landing this kid. Let's see what he can do!
People who make these comparisons must not be watching the players. Fox and Paredes were one dimensional. Rickard can do many things well.

Here are some more stats . Not sure what this means or how accurate it is. Stats for everything.

How big of a difference? Rickard has an opponent quality of 7.5 in stats that appear to be through Friday's games, meaning the quality of pitcher he has faced is somewhere between the Double-A and Triple-A level. Among players who the Orioles could reasonably bring north to Baltimore on Friday, that's the lowest opponent quality of them all. And that will make for a big jump come April.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-opponent-quality-stat-sheds-light-on-competition-for-orioles-regulars-in-spring-training-20160327-story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived