Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Jay Bruce, Austin Jackson Or Pedro Alvarez

PressBoxOnline

Nelson Cruz can hit it out of anywhere. And what I meant by that is we don't need power hitters that strike out a lot like Chris Davis as much as we need OBP type of players like KC. Thats what I meant by not going after Pedro Alvarez.

Orioles aren't like KC. I don't suspect one average player is going to change the team culture much. Wait until Buck is gone. And they add 30 feet to all the outfield fences.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would sacrifice a few fewer runs created overall for a guy who can diversify our offense. I want guys capable of beating the other team in multiple ways. For example, if we are matched up against a pitcher who is "effectively wild," our high K/high HR guys may never get a pitch to hit and I would like a guy who can draw a walk in the lineup.

Do you mean Alvarez? Bruce's last two years have been pretty bad. .729 and .654 OPS. .281 and .294 OBP. I would not want to spend the money or the player on him.I don't really like Bruce at all. I think DD just threw out his name as a smokescreen during the Fowler negotiations. I don't really get why we are talking about him. $25M for two years, probably costs a prospect, below replacement defense, and can't even really hit any more.

Close call between Alvarez and Jackson, but I would give Jackson the edge for diversifying the offense and being able to play defense.

I can see your point. You have not convinced me, but you make a fine argument for it.

Really?

Here are the facts .... OBP over the last 2 seasons Jackson .308 & .311 / Alvarez .312 & .318.

So they are basically the same player in that regard.

Now you could argue fielding with Jackson as an OF as opposed to Alvarez being a DH ...back up 3B/1B weak glove

And you could argue speed ...Last two years Jackson SB 37 / CS 16 = 57% (do you really want him stealing with that rate?)/ Alvarez 10/3 (doesnt go often and is slow but you gotta like the 70%) and at very least he's not making outs on the bases.

Impressive post.

You know after mulling it over for a long time. Along with looking up splits time and again. I think I'd rather have Alvarez over Bruce. Alvarez hits AL pitching better and has almost even splits between first and second half numbers. While Bruce does slightly worse in the second half.

But I still like Jackson just for his defense. So it would be Jackson, Alvarez, then Bruce for me.

I can see your point. You have not convinced me, but you make a fine argument for it.

I'd be OK with Alvarez too, if it did not mean playing Trumbo in RF. I'd also be OK with rolling with Reimold/Rickard/Dariel/Urrutia and seeing if any of them step up. That was my vote on the other thread with the poll, although I think I have talked myself into Jackson on a reasonable contract.

Impressive post.

Thanks ...I try

I really don't want either guy...I like Bruce if he's essentially a dump. Does anybody know what if any the Reds were losing in addition to Bruce in the three way trade? And who were they getting back in return? its obvious that Toronto would give them a different player when they did not like the medical on whatever they agreed on.

I get that we aren't like KC, but we need some OBP guys, because we can't play on just power. You need a mix.

Are you sure? I think it really is just a matter of scoring runs. However you can do it. Our home park is conducive to power hitters since the outfield is not large and you can't take the extra base as easily as many other stadiums.

Thanks ...I try

I really don't want either guy...I like Bruce if he's essentially a dump. Does anybody know what if any the Reds were losing in addition to Bruce in the three way trade? And who were they getting back in return? its obvious that Toronto would give them a different player when they did not like the medical on whatever they agreed on.

Two Angels prospects. Two Prospects.

I'd be OK with Alvarez too, if it did not mean playing Trumbo in RF. I'd also be OK with rolling with Reimold/Rickard/Dariel/Urrutia and seeing if any of them step up. That was my vote on the other thread with the poll, although I think I have talked myself into Jackson on a reasonable contract.

I am not a Jackson fan. But if that's who they get, I'll hope he is slightly better than Snider or David Lough were.

Are you sure? I think it really is just a matter of scoring runs. However you can do it. Our home park is conducive to power hitters since the outfield is not large and you can't take the extra base as easily as many other stadiums.

But that is why the Orioles have those offensive slumps. The road record last year was not good because of live and die by the homer.Worst road record in the ALEast and one of the worst in the league. Also they are slow.

That and we play at Fenway and New Yankee Stadium. I think we put to much emphasis on air mailing souvenirs to fans, but guys like Rickard could make it easier to score and reduce the strikeout rate.

But that is why the Orioles have those offensive slumps. The road record last year was not good because of live and die by the homer.Worst road record in the ALEast and one of the worst in the league. Also they are slow.

So. You would remake the entire offense? Because an Austin Jackson is gonna make no difference with his skill-set.

That and we play at Fenway and New Yankee Stadium. I think we put to much emphasis on air mailing souvenirs to fans, but guys like Rickard could make it easier to score and reduce the strikeout rate.

What is Rickard's MLB strikeout rate? And what is Dexter Fowler's btw?

Archived