Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the real cost is 6 million dollars and Andrew Triggs, assuming he is picked up by another club, and I think he will be.

Perhaps Triggs will never be anything, perhaps Alvarez adds nothing to the record of the O's in 2016.

I'd rather have a pitching prospect than another DH on a team that doesn't have a COF'er

Did you even know who Triggs was before the offseason?

I had som excitement for Alvarez initially, now I'm just sitting here wondering if we should have just let Rickard/Reimold handle the defense out there in Right, but then again I'm just way too concerned about Kim not being any good. Not sure if there is a correct way to feel about this move

I had som excitement for Alvarez initially, now I'm just sitting here wondering if we should have just let Rickard/Reimold handle the defense out there in Right, but then again I'm just way too concerned about Kim not being any good. Not sure if there is a correct way to feel about this move

I am a believer in Dariel. We will see. Dude looked great in Norfolk this year, if he can be more selective, I think he has a future. I also strongly believe Buck likes his arm and his potential. I am a fan.

I have criticzed MANY of the 40-man roster decisions this offseason (many were bad). Losing that lefty (forgetting his name at the moment), trying to pass another through waivers after claiming him (cubs grabbed him), losing the guy we got in a trade (I get he was redundant but better options to DFA).

But this one, I get. He has been shelled, he may pass waivers. If not, they probably have seen enough. I think it is the former reason (they think he can clear).

So the real cost is 6 million dollars and Andrew Triggs, assuming he is picked up by another club, and I think he will be.

Perhaps Triggs will never be anything, perhaps Alvarez adds nothing to the record of the O's in 2016.

I'd rather have a pitching prospect than another DH on a team that doesn't have a COF'er

I didn't.

I just looked up his minor league numbers, and they are excellent.

But how angry can I be about the Orioles releasing a guy that I didn't even know existed until I saw him getting bombed in a Spring Training game last week ??? ) :noidea:

Hard to go wrong with a one-year deal. Maybe Alvarez has a year like Cruz had in 2014...minus some walks and adding some K's. He'll be spending a lot of time in parks very conducive to hitting.

Cruz had a 8.1% walk rate in 2014 (also 8.1% for his career). Alvarez has a 9.3% career walk rate (10.1% and 9.8% in 2014 and 2015, respectively). Very good chance Alvarez walks more than Cruz.

I have criticzed MANY of the 40-man roster decisions this offseason (many were bad). Losing that lefty (forgetting his name at the moment), trying to pass another through waivers after claiming him (cubs grabbed him), losing the guy we got in a trade (I get he was redundant but better options to DFA).

But this one, I get. He has been shelled, he may pass waivers. If not, they probably have seen enough. I think it is the former reason (they think he can clear).

C.J. Riefenhauser. I agree it was a stupid move.

I think what you mean is you'd rather have another reason to complain. Congrats, it sounds stupid to say you'd rather have Triggs than Alvarez.

The names, the costs, and the players involved are irrelevant. Whatever the transaction it's evidence of the GM's imbecility.

If the Orioles traded a Sally League org guy for a five-win player it would be framed as they got fleeced for a prospect and only got back a flawed player his original team didn't even want.

Archived