ST games are half over; There is room for optimism and concern

wildcard

Half way through the spring games, forget the record. Let's look at the players. Opening Day is 20 days away.

Soiid: Manny 3B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Jones CF all having good springs. Hardy is moves better than he has in a year. Good to see.

Finding their stroke: Davis 1B, Trumbo RF, P Alvarez DH. Three All-Stars. We have seen Davis have good years and a bad year, so I hope he is not putting pressure on himself to justify that contract. Like it or not Trumbo is the RFer. Power and a low OBP is expected. Limited range and a good arm. Pedro just arrived. He should be a force in the middle of the lineup. He will be in there vs righties and Buck probably plays him vs everyone to begin the season. Too early to worry .... But not too early to watch.

Catching questions: No structural damage for Wieters but I expect the O's to be real cautious with him. It may be some time before he really lets a throw go full speed in a game. Is OD in jeopardy? Too early to know. Joseph can step in. Pena the likely backup has an option.

Gausman, Tillman, Gallardo, Jimenez and Gonzalez are the starters. Early troubles have not changed that. Buck is putting them on notice that there is competition but they will take the ball every fifth day and we will see where it take them. A good outing today may move Gausman to the front of the order. Tillman's groin a concern. Gonzo rocky start, has option but he will get every chance to grab the 5th spot. Wilson is only a threat at the moment.

Britton, O'Day and Givens having very good springs. Back end of the pen is the solidest part of the team. Brach doing fine. Matusz throwing off the mound should be ready for OD as LOOGY. Bundy will assume the Jason Garcia role from last year as long as he stays healthy. Last spot is Worley's if he can have a good spring. The O's need to keep him as rotation depth and he is out of options.

Dan looking for another pitcher before OD. An injury, poor performance, Gonzo's troubles, Tillman's injury could all change the picture by Opening Day.

Wilson and Drake currently look ready to jump in if needed. Maybe Worley also.

Left field wide open. Kim's conversion to the majors is going slow. He will continue to get all the at bats he needs to try and make the team. I still think he could begin the year in the minors if things don't come together for him. Avery and Marte have stepped up. Avery is lefthanded and offers range. He is hitting well. Marte is hitting and received kudos from Buck for three of his recent OF plays.

Outfield bench: Rickard has looked good defensively at all three positions. Likely close to nailing down 4th OFer spot. If he steps up with his offense he could be part of LF solution. Reimold not hitting but apparently saved a grand slam with his fielding yesterday. His hitting vs lefties gives him a leg up for 25th man spot but he probably needs to hit better or someone could over take him. The leftfield picture looks ripe for Dan to add an outfielder one way or another.

Flaherty, Joseph solid on the bench. Rickard and Reimold need to finish ST strong to maintain their spots.

Parades and Roes are out of options and probably DFA'd right before Opening Day to see if Dan can get them to AAA. Both are probably claimed. But it does open spots for acquisitions on the 40 man roster.

Walker's hitting well and probably ticketed for Norfolk's left field but could help later this season. Janish is having good spring with the bat to go with his great glove. He will be ready at AAA if needed.

Dan's waiver wire or trade acquisition(s) could cost a low minor leaguer like the Brach trade or maybe Walker for someone a little better. I doubt a big trade is coming before OD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero concern.

5% concern if we are 0-7 to start the season.

Many here provide the Orioles with unconditional love, like you would a child. I'm willing to give them until April 30 before passing judgment on how they do in the field.

Management gets no such pass.

Dan and Buck knew what their starting staff looked like (80%) since Chen turned down the QO. IF the pitchers don't deviate too much from their career average, it's on them for not adding a significant pitcher, either through free agency or on poor scouting, drafting and development.

If we don't want to criticize them for overpaying for TOR starters, then they deserve criticism for Hobgood, Bundy, Gausman and Tillman if one of them doesn't turninto a TOR Ace, now

I've always thought the second half of spring training was far more important than the first half. The regulars and other real major leaguers play a lot more and the starting pitchers go deeper into the games. Jimenez pitches on Friday and to me that's when I really start paying attention. It'll be his fourth start, the first of our pitchers to throw that many times, and the goal will be 5 innings or 75 pitches.

I'm really hoping to see some better starting pitching in the second half of spring training. It's been abysmal so far.

Half way through the spring games, forget the record. Let's look at the players. Opening Day is 20 days away.

Soiid: Manny 3B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Jones CF all having good springs. Hardy is moves better than he has in a year. Good to see.

Finding their stroke: Davis 1B, Trumbo RF, P Alvarez DH. Three All-Stars. We have seen Davis have good years and a bad year, so I hope he is not putting pressure on himself to justify that contract. Like it or not Trumbo is the RFer. Power and a low OBP is expected. Limited range and a good arm. Pedro just arrived. He should be a force in the middle of the lineup. He will be in there vs righties and Buck probably plays him vs everyone to begin the season. Too early to worry .... But not too early to watch.

Catching questions: No structural damage for Wieters but I expect the O's to be real cautious with him. It may be some time before he really lets a throw go full speed in a game. Is OD in jeopardy? Too early to know. Joseph can step in. Pena the likely backup has an option.

Gausman, Tillman, Gallardo, Jimenez and Gonzalez are the starters. Early troubles have not changed that. Buck is putting them on notice that there is competition but they will take the ball every fifth day and we will see where it take them. A good outing today may move Gausman to the front of the order. Tillman's groin a concern. Gonzo rocky start, has option but he will get every chance to grab the 5th spot. Wilson is only a threat at the moment.

Britton, O'Day and Givens having very good springs. Back end of the pen is the solidest part of the team. Brach doing fine. Matusz throwing off the mound should be ready for OD as LOOGY. Bundy will assume the Jason Garcia role from last year as long as he stays healthy. Last spot is Worley's if he can have a good spring. The O's need to keep him as rotation depth and he is out of options.

Dan looking for another pitcher before OD. An injury, poor performance, Gonzo's troubles, Tillman's injury could all change the picture by Opening Day.

Wilson and Drake currently look ready to jump in if needed. Maybe Worley also.

Left field wide open. Kim's conversion to the majors is going slow. He will continue to get all the at bats he needs to try and make the team. I still think he could begin the year in the minors if things don't come together for him. Avery and Marte have stepped up. Avery is lefthanded and offers range. He is hitting well. Marte is hitting and received kudos from Buck for three of his recent OF plays.

Outfield bench: Rickard has looked good defensively at all three positions. Likely close to nailing down 4th OFer spot. If he steps up with his offense he could be part of LF solution. Reimold not hitting but apparently saved a grand slam with his fielding yesterday. His hitting vs lefties gives him a leg up for 25th man spot but he probably needs to hit better or someone could over take him. The leftfield picture looks ripe for Dan to add an outfielder one way or another.

Flaherty, Joseph solid on the bench. Rickard and Reimold need to finish ST strong to maintain their spots.

Parades and Roes are out of options and probably DFA'd right before Opening Day to see if Dan can get them to AAA. Both are probably claimed. But it does open spots for acquisitions on the 40 man roster.

Walker's hitting well and probably ticketed for Norfolk's left field but could help later this season. Janish is having good spring with the bat to go with his great glove. He will be ready at AAA if needed.

Dan's waiver wire or trade acquisition(s) could cost a low minor leaguer like the Brach trade or maybe Walker for someone a little better. I doubt a big trade is coming before OD.

That's a great summary Wildcard, thanks.

Archived