Dan Duquette has given up 2 1st round draft picks...

LookitsPuck

Did he? When did the ship stay on top of the water? Andy was great, the team never came close to winning with him as GM. Never close.

AM never tried to win. He was singularly focused on adding talent at the expense of winning. Signing guys like Traschel, Atkins, others, these are poor stop gaps.

AM would have won when he decided to turn that spigot on.

Regarding the forfeited first and second round draft picks, let's not forget about the trading of two supplemental first round picks as well as international slots. A better leader at the helm of this ship would likely have five to eight better prospects inside our top 15 giving us a significantly better asset base from which to build a team and compete.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not willing to let Angelos off the hook for this. Gallardo and Ubaldo were available at bargain basement prices (considering their track record) only because they cost a draft pick. If Angelos won't allow DD to spend more than X on a free agent pitcher, and won't allow him to take a flier on someone with a medical history, then what other options does Duquette have left?

When a fan base bemoans the fact the the Orioles Signings were Ubaldo Jimenez and Yovani Gallarado I simply look at the signings of C.C. Sabatha and Barry Zito as to what could have happened and is happening. David Price and his current contract will more likely that not be an albatross unless he opts out which I doubt.

I prefer the four (Three with an option should be tops) or less years at a manageable dollar figure than these longer term deals that will not pay off.

I also find it troubling that Gallardo is being wrote off before pitching in a single meaningful game.

The truth is that this year alone the Orioles gave up Wieters, Davis, Gallardo picks which counts as three first round picks. They gave up two when they signed Ubaldo and Nelson cruz but recouped Nelson's pick when they let him go.

When a fan base bemoans the fact the the Orioles Signings were Ubaldo Jimenez and Yovani Gallarado I simply look at the signings of C.C. Sabatha and Barry Zito as to what could have happened and is happening. David Price and his current contract will more likely that not be an albatross unless he opts out which I doubt.

I prefer the four (Three with an option should be tops) or less years at a manageable dollar figure than these longer term deals that will not pay off.

I also find it troubling that Gallardo is being wrote off before pitching in a single meaningful game.

The truth is that this year alone the Orioles gave up Wieters, Davis, Gallardo picks which counts as three first round picks. They gave up two when they signed Ubaldo and Nelson cruz but recouped Nelson's pick when they let him go.

How did they give up a pick for Wieters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did they give up a pick for Wieters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually they did not GIVE UP THE PICK but by him accepting the QO they did not get the pick associated with the QO and if they had not signed him back. This was not controllable by Dan Duquette. I stand corrected and should have said "PROBABLE PICKS".

I've got no problem giving up 1st round draft choices for mediocre starting pitchers. GIven the track record of 1st round picks by the Orioles, I'd say we get the better end of the bargain. And since we have had the best record in the American League over the last 4 years, our draft picks have not been top 10 picks anyway.

From what I heard, they never made an offer. The Orioles specified what they would accept. Toronto supposedly was never close to a deal. My source for this is a conversation with Dan Connolly and Mel Antonen.

Didn't they say the Orioles were asking for an unreasonable amount? That was crazy to me. That's like walking up to someone's house unsolicited, knocking on the door and stating that you want to buy it, then being incensed that they won't give you a quote at or below market value.

Do they also go light on the international market and have farm systems ranked in the bottom 20%?

DD also has not had a losing season since being at the helm, to be balanced in our analysis.

Beyond any of that, though, the OP made no such additional commentary as your post. It simply stated that first round picks had been ceded and asked why DD had not yet been let go (specifically to Toronto).

I've got no problem giving up 1st round draft choices for mediocre starting pitchers. GIven the track record of 1st round picks by the Orioles, I'd say we get the better end of the bargain. And since we have had the best record in the American League over the last 4 years, our draft picks have not been top 10 picks anyway.

What's your point? If we would have top 10 picks they would atleast be protected.

DD also has not had a losing season since being at the helm, to be balanced in our analysis.

Beyond any of that, though, the OP made no such additional commentary as your post. It simply stated that first round picks had been ceded and asked why DD had not yet been let go (specifically to Toronto).

Right, due in no small part to a season ending winning streak against the Jays and Yank teams resting their regulars. I don't think the 2015 season is one on which you can hang your hat.

I'm not willing to let Angelos off the hook for this. Gallardo and Ubaldo were available at bargain basement prices (considering their track record) only because they cost a draft pick. If Angelos won't allow DD to spend more than X on a free agent pitcher, and won't allow him to take a flier on someone with a medical history, then what other options does Duquette have left?

That is a good question. The O's could win the World Series and DD will still be

vilified by some. Don't get me wrong he has made moves I didn't agree with but

he is human and makes mistakes. IMO

Archived