On the bright side...this team can hit the snot out of the ball

Frobby

Jones is obviously a positive, but the team seems much more patient with him out of the lineup.

You think the rest of the team will regress once Jones is back? I hope the opposite is true and that some of this patience rubs off on Jones!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Chris Davis's comments were kind of reminiscent of Markakis talking about having a plan at the plate. Seems like most of the guys are being much more selective at the plate. If only Jones would try to get on board with this a little more when he comes back.

He almost acknowledged that is back might force him to. He kind of indicated that his current problem is directly related to a violent swing at a pitch out of the zone that he knows he should've laid off of.

Jones is obviously a positive, but the team seems much more patient with him out of the lineup.

FWIW, the team had its too highest walk totals, 6 and 5 in the two games Jones played (first two). Reached 5 again tonight (Tuesday) for the first time since he's been out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, the team had its too highest walk totals, 6 and 5 in the two games Jones played (first two). Reached 5 again tonight (Tuesday) for the first time since he's been out.

What an offensive display.

Gotta love the results so far (with an upward trajectory). By my count, we've seen 13 bombs in 7 games for a 1.86 per game average, well in excess of a 250 HR pace.

Davis 3

Machado 3

Trumbo 2

Hardy 2

Schoop 1

Reimold 1

Rickard 1

Just a reminder that the record is:

264 HRs by a team for 1 season.

1.63 HRs per game

Alvarez 0

This is the most interesting (and overdue) number of all those zeros, IMO.

Why did we sign Pedro Alvarez? Was it because of his fantastic defense? Well, his positions have been third and first base. I don't think he can outdo the incredible combination of Manny and Davis on the corners.

How about pitching - can he pitch out of the 'pen?

No? Huh. Then it must be that we signed him hoping for some offensive production from him, and to provide depth for Manny or Davis. But really, I don't think defense was on the brain when they signed him, beyond "Can he catch? Good."

...But so far, his offensive production has been below replacement level.

His BA is .143. He's collected a respectable six walks, but only three hits, none of them RBIs and none HR. It's still early, so I expect to see him get better as the season goes on, but if you're looking at one guy ripe to return to career form, Alvarez is far from it right now, which would suggest that he's "due".

Last year he hit 27 HR in 437 AB and batted .243. That's good for one homer on average every 16 AB. Other than an injury-shortened 2011, his OPS is consistently in the mid- to upper-.700s, and there's evidence of incremental improvement to his plate discipline, as his strikeout ratio improved in 2014 and 2015 over the numbers from 2010-2013 (the improvement was more drastic in 2014, but still measurable in 2015).

Unless he's due to repeat his injury-shortened and sub-par 2011 season, this is a guy who hasn't yet shown the Orioles what he's capable of.

As for Jones, I think he's peaked :( His nagging injuries are catching up with him, as is his age; his numbers were great from 2012 through 2014, but all signs point to him continuing to decline after a markedly worse 2015 (in which he also played a good 25 fewer games than he had been).

HOWEVER -- the numbers he's put up in the young 2016 season in 19 ABs are so bad that there's basically no way Adam is actually declining that fast, unless the injury is to blame. But then the question becomes, if he's really that hurt, why not just DL him? I'd rather him sit on the DL than play and put up negative WAR offensive numbers, even if his fielding ability is mostly intact. I think, while he's declining, a healthy Adam would not decline as drastically as we've seen, so we should expect an offensive rebound from him this season -- either that, or the DL. But Adam hates the DL and would have to be missing limbs to let that happen... Maybe he just needs to accept that he's hurting the team by playing injured and putting up sub-par offensive production.

Archived