ERA in April under Showalter

Bahama O's Fan

I would say that you should be clear in what you are counting from the get go.

Something like In full seasons, Buck has reached the playoffs XX% of the time.

If you just say Buck has reached the playoffs XX% of the time than you are, to me, courting confusion if seasons exist that technically count but you object to.

Ok. So we count the 2010 year, skip the 1994, and everything works out better!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if actual facts offend you.

The simple way to fix this is for you to place right out in front all the assorted conditions you want to place on the data set right from the beginning. Once I know what you want to use as your version of reality we can go from there.

Facts don't offend me.

You are lying by omission by asserting that the 1994 Yankees did not make the playoffs, when in fact there were no playoffs that season. Or are you going to tell claim ignorance, and say that you are unaware of this concept (lying by omission)?

Rain Man/Dustin Hoffman might agree with you about the Yankees not making the playoffs in 1994, and therefore a failure of Showalter to reach the postseason that year.

Anybody with even a modicum of reasonable thinking would not.

You just had to go and call me a liar.

Twice.

I let the first one go.

I din't call you a liar, I said that you lied ...... you lied by omission, either because you are having fun feigning ignorance, or because you simply cannot admit that you were mistaken.

Well if you say you wouldn't count a 2010 playoff appearance than we can call it 40%.

I think the overwhelming majority of O's fans would credit that appearance to Buck.

Come on man. You're gonna say 2010 counts as a non appearance for Buck. Make him assume the other guy's record. Buck went 34-23 with the worst team in baseball. That record would've made the playoffs.

Either way, I say 2 for 5.

o

2011: ) 3.97 ERA

Jason Hammel: ) 1.97

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 2.22

Tommy Hunter: ) 4.26

Jake Arrieta: ) 4.45

Brian Matusz: ) 5.66

2012: ) 3.65 ERA

Jeremy Guthrie: ) 2.53

Zach Britton: ) 2.84

Brad Bergesen: ) 4.76

Jake Arrieta: ) 5.01

Chris Tillman: ) 5.25

2013: ) 4.55 ERA

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 2.53

Jason Hammel: ) 3.79

Miguel Gonzalez: ) 4.60

Chris Tillman: ) 4.73

Jake Arrieta ) 6.63

Josh Stinson: ) 7.94 (One Game)

Zach Britton: ) 9.00 (One Game)

How are you coming up with their total ERA? Just dividing their innings and runs allowed?

How are you coming up with their total ERA? Just dividing their innings and runs allowed?

First, I go to the Orioles' team page on baseball reference for each season.

Then, I click on any and all Orioles that started games that season. I sift out the ones that started games in April from the ones that did not start any games in April.

Then, I go to each individual pitcher's game log for the month of April, and crop it. That gives me each individual pitcher's ERA.

Then, I add up the cumulative earned runs that each pitcher ceded for the month of April, and multiply it by 9. Then I add up the cumulative innings pitched for said pitchers. The cumulative earned runs multiplied by 9 and divided by the cumulative innings pitched gives you the team ERA for the month of April.

Then, I click on any and all Orioles that started games that season. I sift out the ones that started games in April from the ones that did not start any games in April.

Then, I go to each individual pitcher's game log for the month of April, and crop it. That gives me each individual pitcher's ERA.

Then, I add up the cumulative earned runs that each pitcher ceded for the month of April, and multiply it by 9. Then I add up the cumulative innings pitched for said pitchers. The cumulative earned runs multiplied by 9 and divided by the cumulative innings pitched gives you the team ERA for the month of April.

Oh, okay

I think its the part where I say. Buck wins a lot of games and makes the playoffs half the time.

Half the time? While The Orioles have made the playoffs twice in Buck's 4 1/3 years in Baltimore, his overall record as a manager is 4 playoff seasons in 16 years. And his winning % is 9th among active managers. Let's not get carried away

o

ORIOLES STARTING PITCHERS E.R.A. IN APRIL, 2011-2015 O (The Showalter Era)

2011: ) 3.97 ERA

Jeremy Guthrie: ) 2.53

Zach Britton: ) 2.84

Brad Bergesen: ) 4.76

Jake Arrieta: ) 5.01

Chris Tillman: ) 5.25

2012: ) 3.63 ERA

Jason Hammel: ) 1.97

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 2.22

Tommy Hunter: ) 4.26

Jake Arrieta: ) 4.45

Brian Matusz: ) 5.66

2013: ) 4.55 ERA

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 2.53

Jason Hammel: ) 3.79

Miguel Gonzalez: ) 4.60

Chris Tillman: ) 4.73

Jake Arrieta ) 6.63

Josh Stinson: ) 7.94 (One Game)

Zach Britton: ) 9.00 (One Game)

2014: ) 4.74 ERA

Chris Tillman: ) 3.88

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 4.34

Bud Norris: ) 4.44

Miguel Gonzalez: ) 5.10

Ubaldo Jimenez ) 6.59

2015: ) 5.05 ERA

Ubaldo Jimenez: ) 1.59

Wei-Yin Chen: ) 2.78

Miguel Gonzalez: ) 3.42

Chris Tillman: ) 7.58

Bud Norris ) 12.18

Ty

There was an easier way. Just go to my long-running thread "A look at the Orioles, by month." I've broken down the starters' ERA each month for several years now.

If I can weigh in on the earlier controversy, I think it's crazy to count 1994 or 2010 if you are calculating the percentage of the time Buck's team made the playoffs. I believe that in 2010, the Orioles literally could have gone undefeated under Buck and they still would have missed the playoffs. (Edit -- confirmed.)

Archived