Anybody know the story with Fred Manfra?

kelsey59

Jim Hunter interviewed Fred Manfra on opening day. What I took from the conversation is Fred is

only going to be doing games when Jim Hunter is doing the TV games. Fred didn't do the opening

game even though he was there. It makes me wonder what is going on.

The thought of hearing Jim Hunter all the time is depressing, it is like reading a box score, all he

does is recite statistics.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Hunter interviewed Fred Manfra on opening day. What I took from the conversation is Fred is

only going to be doing games when Jim Hunter is doing the TV games. Fred didn't do the opening

The thought of hearing Jim Hunter all the time is depressing, it is like reading a box score, all he

I found this old thread on this forum that might give some possible insight into why this is happening. Maybe it was just decided that a change is needed?

Well, guess I'm not listening to the radio this season.

Maybe just drifting toward retirement. Manfra is 70.

I know Manfra is not the strongest broadcaster out there, especially when compared to the guy he shares the booth with. But he is very likable and, dammnit, he ours.

What are you talking about? Hunter is a far superior radio play by play announcer than Manfra. He's much more clear and concise describing the action while Manfra constantly makes mistakes trying to tell the listening audience what happened during a play.

What are you talking about? Hunter is a far superior radio play by play announcer than Manfra. He's much more clear and concise describing the action while Manfra constantly makes mistakes trying to tell the listening audience what happened during a play.

Jim Hunter:

Adam is 3-4 versus left-handed pitchers, Strike one.

During is last 4 games Adam has touched the bat 13 times, Strike two.

When he is 0-2 he usually strikes out 84% of the time, Ball one.

Hard hit to first for the out.

It couldn't be more boring.

I find Hunter much more tolerable on the radio than on TV. He's much better at play-by-play than Manfra, though I enjoy Manfra's work as the color man in the innings where Angel is doing the PBP.

In any event, I wish Manfra the best and hope his limited role this year is just a lifestyle choice he made.

I hate Manfra's play by play, the absolute worst. But I met Manfra once in ST andhe was the nicest guy. So I bit the bullet. But Hunter by all accounts is a #$#^& andI cant stand the relentless mindless reciting of obscure facts, so I prefer Fred.

I usually manage to catch the game on TV, but I can say that there were times when listening to the radio broadcast that Manfra was not even remotely clear enough about what occurred in the game and it wasn't just

one time, either. Manfra does have a great voice, I'll give him that, but if he can't sufficiently convey in words what is going on in the game using that voice, it kind of cancels out the voice. Whoever is doing the PBP for

radio, he has to be able to put things into words so listeners can get a clear picture in their minds as to what is going on or what just happened. Jim Hunter is better at that on the radio. As someone suggested, I think

they should try Manfra as a TV color guy. Put him with Thorne and Bordick and see what happens. Thorne and Palmer don't need any help, those two are great together. Never a dull moment.

Archived