Anybody know the story with Fred Manfra?

kelsey59

I find Hunter much more tolerable on the radio than on TV. He's much better at play-by-play than Manfra, though I enjoy Manfra's work as the color man in the innings where Angel is doing the PBP.

In any event, I wish Manfra the best and hope his limited role this year is just a lifestyle choice he made.

Couldn't have said it better. Hunter on the radio is the best use for him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't have said it better. Hunter on the radio is the best use for him.

Fred stopped by the radio booth and did some time with the guys on the show. He said he has been on the DL and not able to attend spring training.

He said they will rotate this season, depending on Hunter and his TV schedule, I think he said April 19th, him and Gausman might come off the DL together. :)

Fred Manfra has had several serious debilitating health issues. I am sure he is doing all the radio he chooses to.

Yes. Health is the main issue. This is one of a few things.

Orioles radio broadcaster Fred Manfra, who underwent hip replacement surgery in April, will be out several more weeks after undergoing a second procedure May 19 to correct a displaced surgical pin in his femur.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-02/sports/bal-orioles-broadcaster-fred-manfra-will-be-out-for-a-few-more-weeks-20140602_1_orioles-fred-manfra-joe-angel

Yes. Health is the main issue. This is one of a few things.

Orioles radio broadcaster Fred Manfra, who underwent hip replacement surgery in April, will be out several more weeks after undergoing a second procedure May 19 to correct a displaced surgical pin in his femur.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-02/sports/bal-orioles-broadcaster-fred-manfra-will-be-out-for-a-few-more-weeks-20140602_1_orioles-fred-manfra-joe-angel

I think he caught one of those hospital infections like Brooks did as well. Hope he continues to recover, Clapdiddy and I had a nice opportunity to talk with him at a very small gathering. Quite a personable and friendly man with good baseball knowledge. He was on the cruise with Earl when he died.

I think he caught one of those hospital infections like Brooks did as well. Hope he continues to recover, Clapdiddy and I had a nice opportunity to talk with him at a very small gathering. Quite a personable and friendly man with good baseball knowledge. He was on the cruise with Earl when he died.

He will be back April 19th in the booth, Hunter has TV gig that day, he will rotate with Angel and Hunter has needed this season.

As a guy who really enjoys the chemistry between Manfra and Angel, I still don't understand the hatred towards Jim Hunter. I like the fact that the guy is a homer.

Some posters like to throw stones at the slightest misspeak.

I love our guys, and even the worse of them, is better than anybody that I have heard doing games for other teams.

IMO, as much as I like Manfra, radio was never better than when we have Jon Miller with Joe Angel. Talk about an elite pairing.

Hunter is fine on radio, especially when Joe Angel hits him with a weird joke or sarcastic comment and Hunter doesn't really know what to do with it. That's my new favorite thing.

Yes! I came on here specifically to mention this.

Angel and Hunter together are about at 8 on the awkwardness/unintentional comedy scale. Hunter takes his job as Orioles head cheerleader so seriously, and Angel as we all know is a bit irreverent at times. And sometimes he'll crack of one his corny jokes and Hunter has no choice but to give an obligatory laugh, even though you can tell he finds it very beneath him. It's hilarious.

Archived