Bordick and the Koolaid

Roll Tide

I'm playing the Mike Bordick drinking game during the game tonight. You have to drink every time he says "punch out" instead of strike out and during every meaningless cliche.

Add the phrase "in the game, today" and you'll be toast.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was 1000% joking. Threads like this bug me. Or, at least, I am befuddled by them. For the life of me, I can't figure out how or why this topic has such an impact on any O's fan that they have to start a thread (really, over the life of the OH and Bordick's tenure as a MASN broadcaster, there have been multiple) about why they hate a FORMER O'S PLAYER so much. It's just wacky to me.

Now, I should probably consider taking my own advice and just steer clear of a thread like this, but I'm a million times more annoyed by this random negativity than I am with Mike Bordick's homer tendencies.

Just don't get me started on FP Santangelo... :vader:

I also agree with this posters opinion. If I need to have to complain about the commentators on an Orioles Broadcast then the purpose of the game itself has been totally lost on me.

One more thing, perhaps obvious for some. Though Jim Palmer is a close friend of mine and Ive known him for 45 years, I text him(sometimes during the game) and call him when he says something "over the top". In that context, I rarely have many instances of him doing that. Generally speaking, Palmer, is probably the best baseball analyst in the game today.He spares no one on the Orioles if he feels criticism is warranted. He occasionally blisters players and coaching decisions. He knows the game better than anyone Ive ever met, so Mike Bordick probably would pale in comparison to Palmer in terms of content and credibility. And theres this too. Palmer is almost NEVER wrong when it comes to baseball.

Ive always thought Palmer was as good as it gets. My favorite combo was when he and Brooks did games together back in the old WDCA channel 20, or channel 13 days before HTS. Maybe its my being an Orioles homer, but those 2 together was special.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles starting rotation has a combined era of 1.42 so far.... still very early obviously</p>— Perched at the Yard (@PerchedYard) <a href="

">April 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles starting rotation has a combined era of 1.42 so far.... still very early obviously</p>— Perched at the Yard (@PerchedYard) <a href="
">April 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Considerably better than Spring Training.

Bordick hit a new low today. Talking about Chris Archer, he said that Archer's pitch count was too high because he was stubbornly going for strikeouts instead of pitching to contact, because his "ego" is getting in the way. I can't even count all the ways that's a ridiculous comment.

Opposing fans don't like Palmer, and I don't blame them. He can come across as arrogant. But to O's fans, he's a gem; a real treasure. I can't wait to hear his first broadcast this year.

He comes across as arrogant to O's fans, too. I just don't care, he can be as arrogant as he wants. I love Palmer and Thorne together, they are the best.

Bordick hit a new low today. Talking about Chris Archer, he said that Archer's pitch count was too high because he was stubbornly going for strikeouts instead of pitching to contact, because his "ego" is getting in the way. I can't even count all the ways that's a ridiculous comment.

Still not as bad as the Nats guys. Bob Carpenter is about as boring as his name implies and FP Santangelo is unbearable.

I heard that comment by Bordick and thought it was odd...but I don't pay too close attention to what they're saying.

While watching the game last night Mike commented that Jimenez was the Orioles most consistent starter last year. These comments kill me as it's just not true.

Jimenez was very good the first half and he made 32 starts at a 4.+ era. His second half was not nearly as good.

However Chen was clearly the better and most consistent starter. He made 31 starts and pitched to a mid 3 era.

Hard to maintain respect when he is spewing stuff that just is not true.

**** Also in case you did not notice Chen had a rough 1st outing giving up 5 runs.

Even Buck said one could make an argument that Jimenez was the best starter last year, or something very close to those words. It's debatable at best, but not necessarily wrong. Jimenez is like a box of chocolates- never know what you're going to get. Sorry. :D

Yeah, its wrong. Chen was the most consistent. Not even close.

Chen was manipulated to not have to face the Toronto Blue Jays. Ubaldo posted for 32 starts when is turn was due while Chen was rested and skipped to not have to face Toronto. I lean towards Jimenez being the most consistent as far as posting up when his turn was there.

I assumed they were talking about consistency in terms of effectiveness. Maybe Jimenez should have been manipulated so he didn't post a 5.63 ERA over the 2nd half of 2015.

I do not assume that Ubaldo will ever be an effective starter in EVERY start but I do expect him to "Post Up" when his turn comes around. Knowing that he has lapses in his starts allows Buck to manipulate his bullpen to keep the team in games. Ubaldo being consistently inconsistent has its points also.

Chen was manipulated to not have to face the Toronto Blue Jays. Ubaldo posted for 32 starts when is turn was due while Chen was rested and skipped to not have to face Toronto. I lean towards Jimenez being the most consistent as far as posting up when his turn was there.

This is just ridiculous ! Ulbaldo was bad in the second half last year regardless of the opponent, Chen certainly did not ask to be skipped.

Can we get B-Rob in the booth? He was great in spring training. Too much Bordick.

I would also like to see Roberts do more games. He has room to improve, of course, but for a guy who's new to this sort of thing I thought he sounded very comfortable and offered some interesting insights.

Archived