Plate Time, Extension, and Perceived Velocity (Gausman fourth in MLB)

Babkins

Just saw this article on MLB.com. It's headlined by Noah Syndergaard and Jose Fernandez, who face off tonight, but I'm posting here for a moment because it mentions that Gausman had the fourth-fastest average "plate time," as they're calling it, in baseball on his four-seam fastball last year.

A link to the piece here.

the ole TTP evolution! :):):)

I had flashbacks to all the old TTTP discussions when I read this, too. This article, though, is concerned not with the pitcher's total time to the plate once he starts his pitching motion (Buck's obsession a few years ago), but with a separate phenomenon, "plate time," which it defines as the ball's time to the plate from the pitcher's release point, and how a pitcher's arm span decreases the distance that a pitch has to travel, increasing the velocity as perceived by the batter. I should have summarized that better in the original post, but I was in a hurry.

Anyway, what it amounts to is truly a matter of how the ball looks coming out of the pitcher's hand. When Syndergaard or J. Fernandez or Gausman are throwing, apparently the answer is "even faster."

I had flashbacks to all the old TTTP discussions when I read this, too. This article, though, is concerned not with the pitcher's total time to the plate once he starts his pitching motion (Buck's obsession a few years ago), but with a separate phenomenon, "plate time," which it defines as the ball's time to the plate from the pitcher's release point, and how a pitcher's arm span decreases the distance that a pitch has to travel, increasing the velocity as perceived by the batter. I should have summarized that better in the original post, but I was in a hurry.

Anyway, what it amounts to is truly a matter of how the ball looks coming out of the pitcher's hand. When Syndergaard or J. Fernandez or Gausman are throwing, apparently the answer is "even faster."

Thanks for sharing this. Good read!

Archived