Is this Rickard's slump or just emerging to ...?

BirdAttack

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kim and Rickard and Reimold play for the same team. I believe I'll root for all of them. None of them are guaranteed to be the long term answer but I'm sure enjoying this year rather then last year where we were debating who's worse, not who's better!

That's a good point. It's a good problem to have.

There have been others that want Rickard tossed aside. Many intelligent folks.

I know, but I am not one. I think he has value to the team without question. For me, it's more a question of does he add more value to the team than the two guys behind him and should he be an every day starter. I

certainly don't want him tossed aside which I assume means sending him back to TB.

If Joey was stealing bases, it would be much harder for me personally to question whether or not he should be playing every day. The whole stolen base thing was a factor for me being so high on him, but he's not running

at all; only one attempt (successful) IIRC. Without that, I have trouble saying that he should be getting most of the starts over Reimold and probably Kim based on offense alone. I don't believe Rickard's D is so much better

than Reimold/Kim that their offensive production couldn't more than make up for. That's really where I sit with all this. I expected Rickard to be better than he has been and although I still feel he is a valuable part of the

team, I am just not convinced he is more valuable overall than the guys he is ahead of on the depth chart.

If he can score from first on a double I don't care if he attempts another steal all season.

If he can score from first on a double I don't care if he attempts another steal all season.

That's a great trait for a pinch runner to have, but when we've got doubles and home runs sitting on the bench just for that, I'm not sure it's really worth it.

That's a great trait for a pinch runner to have, but when we've got doubles and home runs sitting on the bench just for that, I'm not sure it's really worth it.

I should say potential doubles and home runs when it comes to Kim, but for sure with Reimold who also should be playing more without question.

I'm speaking in general of all players. I would rather have a smart baserunner that can take an extra base than some little flea getting picked off.

Sometimes this board feels like I'm in stadium section with a group of rocket scientists. Do you guys even enjoy the game/smile or do you correct a person who yells out great hit, and say, " Well actually it wasn't. Fangraphs state that his war is blah, blah, blah."

I know I'll get killed for this post but my opinion is just as valid as your analytics.

I'm speaking in general of all players. I would rather have a smart baserunner that can take an extra base than some little flea getting picked off.

As would I. Rickard hasn't exactly shown to be smart on a regular basis in that respect, though. Reimold and Kim can both take the extra base and seem like overall better base runners when it comes to smarts in that

area. With two outs or getting a good jump on the ball, I would think both could also score from first on a double as well.

I hate stealing bases. At anything less than an 80% clip. Plus, that gets Bryce Harper walked six times.

I know it's a love/hate thing. A legitimate stolen base threat can take over the game without even attempting a steal. There is something to be said for disrupting a pitcher's timing and distracting him. Steals kill guys like

Jimenez that can't hold runners and I do think it's a weakness that should be exploited if at all possible.

Sometimes this board feels like I'm in stadium section with a group of rocket scientists. Do you guys even enjoy the game/smile or do you correct a person who yells out great hit, and say, " Well actually it wasn't. Fangraphs state that his war is blah, blah, blah."

I know I'll get killed for this post but my opinion is just as valid as your analytics.

I like stats, they make the game even more interesting, but I still agree with you. Any good tool in the hands of someone who doesn't understand how to use it is dangerous.

As would I. Rickard hasn't exactly shown to be smart on a regular basis in that respect, though. Reimold and Kim can both take the extra base and seem like overall better base runners when it comes to smarts in that

area. With two outs or getting a good jump on the ball, I would think both could also score from first on a double as well.

I know it's a love/hate thing. A legitimate stolen base threat can take over the game without even attempting a steal. There is something to be said for disrupting a pitcher's timing and distracting him. Steals kill guys like

Jimenez that can't hold runners and I do think it's a weakness that should be exploited if at all possible.

And what would that something be?

I'm of the opinion that the impact on the basepaths is incredibly marginal.

Glad I saw this. I was about to post the same. My guess is chances are stronger someone's getting him into scoring position or home more efficiently than him risking getting thrown out trying to steal. We've got heavy lumber guys behind him, on deck or in the hole. I'd rather see the speed utilized there on balls they hit. .

Archived