What would make Ichiro a HOFer

Jagwar

Because he rarely walks and rarely hits anything but a single. Especially when he first came up people were calling him the best player in baseball, but that's nearly impossible when you don't play a key defensive position and you slug .440. He's also overrated because he gets 200+ hits a year, partly because he bats leadoff 160 games a season and has more at bats than almost anyone else because he doesn't walk. He is the 2008 version of Wee Willie Keeler - and while Keeler is a legitimate HOFer, he's not quite as good as his .424 average in 1897 and his legends might suggest.

He is a fine defender (although he's a little stretched in center), and a good baserunner, and he plays every day. The whole package is very good. Just not quite as good as the Ichiro! disciples might have you think.

Ichiro is no where near the best player in baseball. I do think he is a hall of famer. He came from Japan and was able to adjust instantly. He hit .350 in his first season in the bigs. I also don't put much weight into Slugging. I think it is even a worst indicator of a players talent than BA.

Archived