The story behind Natty Boh's disappearance from Camden Yards

Going Underground

For those who care.

As the Orioles were making room for more local brews this year including beers from Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Union Craft Brewing Co. and Brewer's Art Natty Boh's parent company, Pabst, was busy using Orioles imagery in its marketing. That included 16-ounce cans with Mr. Boh as various orange-and-black clad baseball players, and an image that strongly resembled Orioles catcher Matt Wieters.

The Orioles sent a cease and desist letter to Pabst alleging National Bohemian used the team's trademarks and imagery without permission, a team source confirmed.

Leslie Schaller, a marketing manager for Bond Distributing Co., said the company was unaware the Orioles would not be purchasing more Boh until April 19 when it was suddenly nowhere to be found.

We are sad that the Orioles have chosen to disappoint the loyal Boh customers, and it?s unfortunate that the stadium will not be carrying National Bohemian, she said, calling it an "ill-fated decision."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/baltimore-diner-blog/bal-why-no-natty-boh-camden-yards-20160516-story.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to four games this year, and this is still bumming me out.

Although I rarely drink Boh otherwise, its been my first choice at OPACY for years.

I even talked to a disappointed beer man, who told me it was always what he sold out of first.

Oh well, that $9.50 Flying Dog IPA has taken its place for me.

Thank goodness and good riddance. I moved to Ohio in 2002 and every time I get back to OPACY it has seemed like Natty Boh gets more and more of a foothold on the market as part of Baltimore culture, like it's Old Bay or something. They just started marketing themselves as a Baltimore tradition and a must for true Baltimore fans and for some reason tons of people bought into it ... probably largely in part to them using the O's and Ravens likenesses/brands ... now you have this large cohort of people that swear it's a Baltimore thing and a fundamental part of Orioles baseball and if you say that it isn't they act like the Chuck Norris "fans" that relentlessly argue with you without sound logic just to argue with you ... I'm happy to hear we'll have REAL local brews available and get that horrible horse urine and that stupid incomplete clip art logo out of the most beautiful park in baseball ...

/rant

Thank goodness and good riddance. I moved to Ohio in 2002 and every time I get back to OPACY it has seemed like Natty Boh gets more and more of a foothold on the market as part of Baltimore culture, like it's Old Bay or something. They just started marketing themselves as a Baltimore tradition and a must for true Baltimore fans and for some reason tons of people bought into it ... probably largely in part to them using the O's and Ravens likenesses/brands ... now you have this large cohort of people that swear it's a Baltimore thing and a fundamental part of Orioles baseball and if you say that it isn't they act like the Chuck Norris "fans" that relentlessly argue with you without sound logic just to argue with you ... I'm happy to hear we'll have REAL local brews available and get that horrible horse urine and that stupid incomplete clip art logo out of the most beautiful park in baseball ...

/rant

Next time, don't hold back.

Please tell us how you REALLY feel! :)

/rant

I've got to agree. I love supporting Baltimore institutions, but have no interest in a beer that markets itself as Baltimore is but has been brewed elsewhere since 1996. I'd rather they suppoer a beer like Camden Cream from Full Tilt. One it's actually a good tasting beer, and two it's actually brewed in Baltimore!

Really bummed about this. Not because Boh is an especially splendid beer, but it is easy drinkin on a hot summer night. I'd rather have a Boh than a Bud or Coors light or something when I'm not in the mood for a super heavy IPA. Moreover, no reason the O's couldn't invite in a bunch more local beers (Heavy Seas, etc) while still keeping the old local favorite.

It's a lose for everyone. Really just a gain for Anheuser Busch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got to agree. I love supporting Baltimore institutions, but have no interest in a beer that markets itself as Baltimore is but has been brewed elsewhere since 1996. I'd rather they support a beer like Camden Cream from Full Tilt. One it's actually a good tasting beer, and two it's actually brewed in Baltimore!

That's a GREAT beer! I don't know if it applies in all metropolitan areas, but I feel like we have sooo many really good craft breweries in the MD/DE area to choose from. Full Tilt, Union, Flying Dog, DuClaw, Independent, Brewer's Art, Heavy Seas...I'd much rather support legitimate local businesses who are producing original and unique brews.

It's my 21st birthday in a week and planned on going up to Baltimore the June 4th weekend for the Yankees game and sorta bummed I can't get a Natty Boh at the game. Oh well

Across the street, 100 feet from the stadium you can. And drink it out side in the sunshine.

If I'm going to the concourse I like to get the best IPA I can find. But if I'm lazy and want to stay in my seat then I prefer Natty Boh to Bud Lite. I remember Natty Boh associated with the O's back in '55 when I first started going to games.

Orioles handled this terribly. Think about your customers. Just an easy way to jack up your prices. Also, waiting until so late is bad business practice. Same Bs they pulled with season ticket holders.

I rarely drink but when I do its miller lite.

But what did the Orioles do to season ticket holders? We have had season tickets since 2011. I didn't have any problems. We always sit in section 56 row 17

:shrug:

Archived