Jayson Stark: Competition Committee Agree's to Changes to Strike Zone, IBB's

Elbren

The IBB rule seems trivial; I guess it will speed some games up by a few seconds.

But shrinking the strike zone seems like a potentially epochal change that could lead to a dramatic increase in run scoring. Historically, scoring more runs is good for attendance, and run scoring has dropped off in recent years, so I can understand why they are making the change, although it will slow the game down.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mentioned it in the game thread.

They need to look at trading or non-tendering Britton.

He's going to be too big a risk for what his salary would be.

This a knee jerk reaction fostered by your opinion that closers don't matter. Zach matters and my opinion is that he'll be just fine whether this goes into effect or not. Non tender? Are you kidding me? He's a stud now and he'll be a stud in 2017. Given the ability of our starters to succeed after 5 innings, this borders on the ridiculous.

This a knee jerk reaction fostered by your opinion that closers don't matter. Zach matters and my opinion is that he'll be just fine whether this goes into effect or not. Non tender? Are you kidding me? He's a stud now and he'll be a stud in 2017. Given the ability of our starters to succeed after 5 innings, this borders on the ridiculous.

No it isn't.

This is a reaction to me having actually watched Britton pitch when he was not getting that pitch called a strike.

He elevates that pitch and it flattens out.

How would the O's trading Britton make me more or less wrong about closers?

He'd still be closing right? Or at the least setting up.

Your post makes no sense.

I want Britton gone if this goes into effect because he works the part of the strike zone they are talking about eliminating.

I take it you are fine with paying him ~10M next year even with the pitch he throws 90% of the time no longer be a called strike?

Not sure how big of a change this will create. Most umps probably aren't going to change their strike zones.

No it isn't.

This is a reaction to me having actually watched Britton pitch when he was not getting that pitch called a strike.

He elevates that pitch and it flattens out.

I guess you know more then me by your vast experience playing an coaching. You sound like a pitching coach here so I guess I'll have to respect your opinion on whether Britton can or can't adjust to new rules. Or, maybe not...

I guess you know more then me by your vast experience playing an coaching. You sound like a pitching coach here so I guess I'll have to respect your opinion on whether Britton can or can't adjust to new rules. Or, maybe not...

Question, a nice easy one you can handle.

Did you watch Britton pitch when the effective strike zone was approximately where they are proposing to move it?

Question, a nice easy one you can handle.

Did you watch Britton pitch when the effective strike zone was approximately where they are proposing to move it?

I've watched Britton pitch since he was a rookie and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I hope he pitches for the O's for the rest of his career. You, on the other hand have continually espoused the idea that closers don't matter. Why don't you just admit that you are out of your element and are wrong when it comes to Britton and other "special" cases.

I've watched Britton pitch since he was a rookie and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I hope he pitches for the O's for the rest of his career. You, on the other hand have continually espoused the idea that closers don't matter. Why don't you just admit that you are out of your element and are wrong when it comes to Britton and other "special" cases.

That wasn't even a good attempt at a Dodge.

How about you go watch film of Britton pitching against the Royals in the playoffs?

That wasn't even a good attempt at a Dodge.

How about you go watch film of Britton pitching against the Royals in the playoffs?

He had just had a baby and logged 5400 miles in a 48 hour period of time with no sleep.

Who's to say Britton wouldn't adjust?

That said, this club has been incredibly inept at selling players at their high. Especially relievers. This club does need an infusion of more talent in the minors. Perhaps Britton is the piece that they need to trade?

That said, this club has been incredibly inept at selling players at their high. Especially relievers. This club does need an infusion of more talent in the minors. Perhaps Britton is the piece that they need to trade?

I'm for it. I believe O'Day, Brach, even Givens with his hiccups this season can close.

Trading Britton gives something cost-controlled back and frees up a potential $10 mil to go towards retaining/extending someone else. But really, let's cross that bridge when we get there - especially if the Orioles remain in playoff contention.

Re fact that Britton has seen this strike zone before and struggled.

I've never said he'd be finished, just not someone I'd pay 10m for.

There haven't been many great teams that could do this well unless forced economically or by being lousy (in which case they weren't great teams).

Tampa Bay and Oakland have done it for economic reasons with some success. I'm sure you could name others.

The Dodgers of the 1950s were good at getting rid of players while they still had value. The Orioles of the 1960s and '70s were also good. The Big Red Machine was filled out with some impressive trades. I'd like to hear some other good examples folks can think of (specifically where good teams traded star players to acquire the next generation of talent).

Archived