Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very surprised that Matusz didn't pitch at all yesterday he has not pitched in a week and that seemed like a good chance to get him in. If he is not going to pitch in a low leverage situation then there is no need for him here even if he is only left handed pitcher. We get the Sox next week maybe we will see if he can still get Ortiz out and if not he is gone.

For those interested in tracking the full value of Ubaldo's contract thus far:

Since it was signed before the 2014 season:

360 Innings of a 4.63 ERA

1.7 WAR

~$27M paid

Ugh. Baseball Reference's pitching WAR is the worst. Fangraphs has him at the much more reasonable 3.8 WAR over the last three seasons.

Alfredo Simon is 1-5 with an ERA of 10. He has been even worse then Ubaldo. Latos started out very good but from watching him he has nothing left it was smoke and mirrors and facing the Twins twice and A's once. In his last 5 starts his ERA is 8 and teams are hitting about .400 off him. Fister has been ok but his lack of velocity has to be a major concern he has lost the fastball completely.

Are we comparing Gallardo or Ubaldo to the other pitchers we could have gotten in that offseason? I was against the Gallardo signing, but at least he isn't "hurting" us right now. I pray that he can get straightened out. As far as Ubaldo goes, who else was available that offseason that got similar money?

Ugh. Baseball Reference's pitching WAR is the worst. Fangraphs has him at the much more reasonable 3.8 WAR over the last three seasons.

Actually Baseball Reference WAR for pitchers is a 100 times better than Fanagraphs.

Are we comparing Gallardo or Ubaldo to the other pitchers we could have gotten in that offseason? I was against the Gallardo signing' date=' but at least he isn't "hurting" us right now. I pray that he can get straightened out. As far as Ubaldo goes, who else was available that offseason that got similar money?[/quote']

It might have been the year before but Edwin Jackson's contract is very similar to Ubaldos. Also it is a two way street. It is not like pitchers with options are lining up to pitch at Camden Yards with the short porches and the thorough Oriole Physicals. As pitchers go we are usually the last choice I am sure.

He is a victim of his agent and his contract that he held out for.

The Orioles should have never given that type of contract to a high school pitcher if you want to be honest about it. In the end it really doesn't matter because he may never reach anywhere close to his potential without some time to start and regain his confidence in his pitches in the minors.

Are we comparing Gallardo or Ubaldo to the other pitchers we could have gotten in that offseason? I was against the Gallardo signing' date=' but at least he isn't "hurting" us right now. I pray that he can get straightened out. As far as Ubaldo goes, who else was available that offseason that got similar money?[/quote']

FA pitchers signed in the same offseason. Of course most of these guys were off the market by the time February rolled around and the O's had yet to take the jump. If only we could have predicted the future on someone like Feldman or Kazmir.

Tanaka: 7 years $155M (let's leave him aside for now)

Matt Garza: 4 / 52M (currently hurt, good 2014 but real bad 2015)

Nolasco: 4 / 49M - Disaster (ERA worse than Ubaldo since 2014)

Ubaldo: 4 / 48M

Feldman: 3 / 30M - 3.81 ERA since 2014, seems consistent

Hughes: 3 / 24M - 4.09 ERA since 2014 but trending wrong direction

Tim Hudson: 2 / 23M - He gone

Kazmir: 2 / 22M - Great '14 and '15.......sucking so far in '16 in LA

Colon: 2 / 20M - he seems to do well in New York

Arroyo: 2 / 19M - He gone.

Kuroda: 1 / 16M

AJ Burnett: 1 / 16M

E. Santana: 1 / 14M

Pelfrey: 2 / 11M

Dan Haren: 1 / 10M

Josh Johnson: 1 / 8M

Hammel: 1 / 6M

Gavin Floyd: 1 / 4M

FA pitchers signed in the same offseason. Of course most of these guys were off the market by the time February rolled around and the O's had yet to take the jump. If only we could have predicted the future on someone like Feldman or Kazmir.

Tanaka: 7 years $155M (let's leave him aside for now)Matt Garza: 4 / 52M (currently hurt, good 2014 but real bad 2015)

Nolasco: 4 / 49M - Disaster (ERA worse than Ubaldo since 2014)

Ubaldo: 4 / 48M

Feldman: 3 / 30M - 3.81 ERA since 2014, seems consistent

Hughes: 3 / 24M - 4.09 ERA since 2014 but trending wrong direction

Tim Hudson: 2 / 23M - He gone

Kazmir: 2 / 22M - Great '14 and '15.......sucking so far in '16 in LA

Colon: 2 / 20M - he seems to do well in New York

Arroyo: 2 / 19M - He gone.

Kuroda: 1 / 16M

AJ Burnett: 1 / 16M

E. Santana: 1 / 14M

Pelfrey: 2 / 11M

Dan Haren: 1 / 10M

Josh Johnson: 1 / 8M

Hammel: 1 / 6M

Gavin Floyd: 1 / 4M

So Feldman? Woulda, shoulda, coulda?

Alfredo Simon is 1-5 with an ERA of 10. He has been even worse then Ubaldo. Latos started out very good but from watching him he has nothing left it was smoke and mirrors and facing the Twins twice and A's once. In his last 5 starts his ERA is 8 and teams are hitting about .400 off him. Fister has been ok but his lack of velocity has to be a major concern he has lost the fastball completely.

But they wouldn't have cost a pick. Gallardo has and isn't even pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived