It could take $400 million to sign Manny (internet sources unnamed)

calmunderfire

Someone needs to tell me how much is too much for an 8-10 win player. That is about 75m on the open market over 3 players. If you are lucky. Having all that peoduction from one guy? Almost priceless

Yea, concentrating the wins on one roster spot is very valuable, as it allows for flexibility/production at the other, unused spots.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we all love Manny, we should consider the possibility that his peak is right now.

Think of Ripken...aside from '91, his best years were '83-'86.

I'd pay $40m/yr for an 8+ WAR guy, but if Manny settles into a 4-5 win player instead...that's a significant overpay.

While we all love Manny, we should consider the possibility that his peak is right now.

I'd pay $40m/yr for an 8+ WAR guy, but if Manny settles into a 4-5 win player instead...that's a significant overpay.

Not really.

And according to some, you are just a grumpy old man who likes to cause problems.:scratchchinhmm:

A few years ago I happened into reruns of "Dennis the Menace" and was surprised to see how interesting a character Mr. Wilson, the supposedly crotchety neighbor, was. Had lots of hobbies he was intelligent about. I also realized I would have been as flabbergasted as he was by the idiot kid next door.

A few years ago I happened into reruns of "Dennis the Menace" and was surprised to see how interesting a character Mr. Wilson, the supposedly crotchety next-door neighbor, was. Had lots of hobbies he was intelligent about. I also realized that I would have been as annoyed as he was by that idiot kid next door.

What, Wilson wasn't the cool one?

"Besides his best year in which he won his second mvp..."

A few years ago I happened into reruns of "Dennis the Menace" and was surprised to see how interesting a character Mr. Wilson, the supposedly crotchety next-door neighbor, was. Had lots of hobbies he was intelligent about. I also realized that I would have been as annoyed as he was by that idiot kid next door.

Interesting to consider the flip side of the story. Old man retires to suburbs and just wants to have a quiet retirement with his wife. Neighbor kid just won't let him be.

Paying him $40mil per would be insane. I don't care what kind of numbers he puts up.priority #1 this off season is what type of package you might get for him. No way in hell is Angelos meeting those contract demands, real or imagined.
No way is he allowing him to be traded either. Remember Pat Gillick?

Actually 4-5 wins on the FA market is worth roughly 35-45m. That is NOW. So even in your worst case scenario you come up short. The only way we would be "significantly overpaying" him is if he walked across the street one day and gets ran over by a bus and he couldn't play.

As far as him peaking at age 23 after accumulating roughly 28 or so WAR to that point.....I just don't even know what to say to that. He actually should get BETTER, as crazy as that sounds.

He is headed straight to the HOF, will be producing at an INSANELY, almost unbelievably high level for the next 10 years barring a catastrophe, and I would bet every last dollar I had on it.

I just hope Angelos will, but I have my doubts. You simply can't overpay a player of his caliber when he is that young if you lock him up early.

That was all on Angelos as I recall, blocking deals.
Of course what did you think I was saying? Gillick wanted to trade a bunch of pricey aging stars to rebuild the farm system and PA said no. Gillick left and has had nothing good to say since about "King Peter" as he calls him.

Actually 4-5 wins on the FA market is worth roughly 35-45m. That is NOW. So even in your worst case scenario you come up short. The only way we would be "significantly overpaying" him is if he walked across the street one day and gets ran over by a bus and he couldn't play.

Sort of. The counter to that is that no one actually makes $40M a year, and almost no one makes $35M. But there were almost 60 players worth 4+ wins in 2015. At the very top end the money/WAR calculation seems to either break down, or get fairly heavily discounted for risk in a way that doesn't happen with mid-tier free agents. David Price is a 5-win player annually, and he got paid for less than four wins a year before inflation. J.A. Happ is a 1.5 win player who got paid for 1.5 wins a year.

I do think Manny will be an elite player up through age 30, and I do think he will be in the HOF. It's just rare to draft and develop a player like this. We don't see to many HOFers come though town and stay long. It could be 2030 before we see a talent like this in Baltimore again. I think we need to push the envelope on signing him, but I guess there is a line someplace. And like many have said, I'm not so sure he wants to stay here.

Archived