What is going on with the Orioles and the cutter?

LookitsPuck

Here's another one, too.

The majority of baseball elbow injuries are noncontact injuries to the dominant arm resulting from repetitive pitching. Five percent of youth pitchers suffer a serious elbow or shoulder injury (requiring surgery or retirement from baseball) within 10 years. The risk factor with the strongest correlation to injury is amount of pitching. Specifically, increased pitches per game, innings pitched per season, and months pitched per year are all associated with increased risk of elbow injury. Pitching while fatigued and pitching for concurrent teams are also associated with increased risk.

Another risk factor is poor pitching biomechanics. Improper biomechanics may increase the torque and force produced about the elbow during each pitch. Although throwing breaking pitches at a young age has been suggested as a risk factor, existing clinical, epidemiologic, and biomechanical data do not support this claim.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With little leaguers, sure. Even that has been largely disproven, though.

Source

I really don't feel like linking a whole bunch of articles, but the general consensus there is that throwing too many pitches is the problem and not curveballs or any other pitch.

I'm not talking about little leagues. I'm talking about professional baseball.

And the issue you're talking about is more of a function of quantity.

Bundy made the decision to stop throwing the cutter. It was not the O's according to Dylan.

I'm not sure anyone knows the truth anymore. I sure don't.

From late 2014:

General Manager Dan Duquette and Director of Pitching Development Rick Peterson removed one of Bundy’s favorite pitches, the cutter, from his repertoire for fear it might decrease the velocity of his fastball later in his career. The Orioles altered his delivery to put less stress on his arm. They put him on a six-day rotation instead of the traditional five, and limited him to 125 innings on the season.

Despite the inning limitations and new mechanics — which Bundy admitted were frustrating at times — he dominated the low Class A South Atlantic League. In his debut for Delmarva, he allowed no hits and struck out six in three innings. Before he was promoted to Frederick, Bundy had a 0.00 ERA in 30 innings, with 40 strikeouts and 2 walks. Hitters went 5 for 94 against him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/01/orioles-top-prospect-dylan-bundy-re-learns-how-to-pitch-after-tommy-john-surgery/

Now, if you're talking about this year? Maybe? But that's anyone's guess at this point. From 2012 on, the cutter was pretty much banished from Dylan's repertoire (when he was pitching).

Wouldn't be good if he got hurt, now would it?

The only people getting hurt is the fans that are dodging the homers these guys are throwing. The Orioles do not have any player development types in their systems. I suggest they stop drafting arms. Clearly they are better paying for someone else's refinements.

Rodriquez and Hader. Hader did very well in the low minors here, but he wasn't highly regarded until after he was traded.

I seem to recall both players being among our top 5-7 prospects when they were traded.

Maybe this is the way it is, but if I am Bundy, I am going to throw what I think works best. Pitching philosophy can help, but ultimately, if I get hitters out, nobody is going to give one whit about what pitches I use to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe this is the way it is, but if I am Bundy, I am going to throw what I think works best. Pitching philosophy can help, but ultimately, if I get hitters out, nobody is going to give one whit about what pitches I use to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I'm Bundy and I think the Cutter is what caused my elbow issues I'm going to be real hesitant to throw it after what I have been through.

Rodriquez and Hader. Hader did very well in the low minors here, but he wasn't highly regarded until after he was traded.

Hader has yet to prove anything. Rodriguez did fine with the Orioles and continued to develop with the Sox. According to Fangraphs, Eduardo does not throw a cutter so he is irrelevant anyway. Not sure about Hader. Any others?

So, the Orioles will just keep an unneffective Bundy around and get shelled. By the time they deem him healthy enough to throw it, he'll be about ready to move on and become good with another organization. This team needs to reevaluate who's running the minors. These guys they are drafting are on everyone's board as a top of the rotation guy. They've ruined Bundy, they are in the process of ruining Gausman, and I guess Arietta just all of a sudden became coachable? At some point, the blame has to be on the organization. Not just bad luck.

Hader has yet to prove anything. Rodriguez did fine with the Orioles and continued to develop with the Sox. According to Fangraphs, Eduardo does not throw a cutter so he is irrelevant anyway. Not sure about Hader. Any others?

ERod started working on a cutter this year.

Archived