One third through the season the O's are on an amazing 93 win pace.

wildcard

The schedule gets tougher now. We got 3 against KC' date=' 4 against TOR, 3 againt BOS, and then 3 against TOR followed by a make up game against TEX. We'll know more about our chances after that.[/quote']
I would be shocked if we go 7-7.

I'd love a .500 record with that but I know that's a tall order if the starting pitching continues to blow. Hopefully we can make it through without something horrible like 4-10.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not having sure things at the top of the draft is no excuse for giving up the #14 pick and the compensation pick. A deep draft without a consensus at the top is exactly the type of draft where it would make sense to have picks on those spots.

While I'm sure that the argument will be that historically the #14 and #76 spots are longshots to produce much value in the long run, it's the old argument about strength in numbers. There is just more of a chance to hit on the Mike Trout or Mike Stanton with those extra selections.

A lot of the pain on losing the #14 pick goes away if Gallardo comes back and pitches well for a couple of years. And by pitches well I don't mean velocity. I mean he is an effective starter.

The O's could use one of those right now. If Dan saw that and made the move to sign Gallardo this off season, Gallardo pitching well makes Dan look pretty good. Him pitching poorly makes Dan look bad.

http://tbldaily.com/orioles-numbers/

Baltimore Orioles

Through 55 games, the Orioles have just nine stolen bases – the least of all teams in the major leagues.

They’re on pace to steal just 27 this season, which is 17 less than 2015.

The Orioles are making a habit of comeback wins and this is why their bullpen has 17 wins on the season already – five more than any other team in the major leagues (Royals, 12). The Orioles bullpen has been great thus far, working to a 2.76 ERA, which is second only to the Royals at 2.64.

The Orioles bullpen has been very busy through the first 55 games, pitching 185 2/3 innings. That’s significantly more than their divisional rivals – Red Sox (176 1/3), Yankees (166 2/3), Rays (166) and Blue Jays (145 1/3).

So often one of the best defensive units in the major leagues, the Orioles are performing far worse this season. The 33 errors they’ve committed is the fourth worst in the American League, with just the Twins (34), Rays (36) and Athletics (40) committing more. Nine of the errors have come from pitchers.

The Orioles have slugged 80 home runs through 55 games, putting them on pace for 236 this season – 19 more than they hit in 2015. Just the Mariners (82) and Rays (83) have more than the Orioles’ 80.

Orioles pitchers have struck out just 410 hitters this season, which is the third least in the American League. Only the Tigers (409) and Rangers (384) pitching staffs have struck out less.

I will participate as I would have hoped the thread would go:

1) It has been a fun third of the season. I hope it continues for the next 2/3.

2) What a first 1/3 by Machado, Tillman, Britton, Brach, and Trumbo. They have played great. I expected Trumbo to be good in OPACY, but he has been a monster everywhere. History doesn't suggest this will continue, but imagine if it does.

3) Not a great start for Davis, Wieters, Schoop, or Alvarez, but they had their moments and weren't bad.

4) Pretty rough start for AJ, but he has looked better of late.

5) What a pleasant surprise Kim is turning out to be after the drama of spring training. I really like his approach at the plate, but his range in the OF is not fun to watch.

6) The bullpen overall has been really excellent and I don't see many signs that the performance can't be sustained. They just look really good.

7) Other than Tillman and some good early games from Gausman, the SP has been pretty horrid. It is pretty amazing that the team is doing this well with SP this bad. It probably needs to be average going forward for these results to continue through the year.

8) On pace for the playoffs and maybe the division title. I will take it thus far. Go BIRDS!

Good observations. Individual players are doing a bit better or worse than I expected, but overall the offense is pretty much exactly where I expected it to be. I do feel we will need the starting pitching to improve to continue winning at a rate that will get us to the playoffs.

Any team in the league would have been happy to be at this point at the 1/3 mark. That's true. Here's hoping the magic continues.

The starting pitching desperately needs a shot in the arm, that much we know. And it's only going to come through addition at this point. There are too many guys on this roster that just have no business being major league starters right now.

Individual players are doing a bit better or worse than I expected, but overall the offense is pretty much exactly where I expected it to be. I do feel we will need the starting pitching to improve to continue winning at a rate that will get us to the playoffs.

The last four games have been more like it!

Even if we turn out an abysmal 4-7 in the upcoming series (4 vs TOR, 3 vs BOS, 3 vs TOR, 1 vs TEX), we'll still have played .500 over this tough stretch that people thought might break us, thanks to the sweep of KC. If we do better than 4-7 over the next 11 games, we're playing with house money.

The schedule gets tougher now. We got 3 against KC' date=' 4 against TOR, 3 againt BOS, and then 3 against TOR followed by a make up game against TEX. We'll know more about our chances after that.[/quote']

Bumping this.

We are 5-3 just over halfway through this 14 game gauntlet of a schedule. If we only go 2-4 we will have played .500 ball. But now of course, one gets greedy and I hope that greed is satisfied. Go O's!

Bumping this.

We are 5-3 just over halfway through this 14 game gauntlet of a schedule. If we only go 2-4 we will have played .500 ball. But now of course' date=' one gets greedy and I hope that greed is satisfied. Go O's![/quote']

I was looking at the schedule, man it gets awful. Boston, Toronto, Fly to TEX for 1 game Monday then back home for SD for 2. Ridiculous they have to fly to TEX in the middle of a homestand on their off day.

Archived