Fangraphs ranks Orioles radio broadcast team #20

TheEldestTorres

I'm surprised they're that low, but there's not much riding on this ranking.

I do feel that Joe Angel has slipped a little bit over the last two years or so. He's still highly entertaining, but isn't as quick as he was at recognizing what is happening on a play and describing it accurately, and he makes some careless mistakes mistakes like misstating the score on occasion. I still consider him to be a very good play by play man, however.

Hunter is a better PBP man than Manfra, but I prefer Manfra in the color role because he's more used to it. Bordick has done a credible job as color man when called upon. I'm hoping we get some Ben McDonald games later in the summer.

Both Hunter and Bordick are better on radio than TV.

Angel is easily top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angel gets big points from me since he as a native Spanish speaker gets a lot of surnames correct. He's got a terrific voice too. Hunter is better on radio than TV, I agree with that. I'd honestly love to hear a game with Angel doing PBP with Palmer as the color man but that won't ever happen since their strengths fit their respective medium better. I am glad we're playing the Dodgers this year in LA. I normally watch the games but when we're in LA, I'm putting on MLB AtBat and listening to Scully. I've never heard him call a entire Dodgers game before and it will be a treat to hear him call one of our games in his final year.

If the ranking is based on Joe and Fred, it should be much higher. Hunter and Bordick have to be the reason. I was going to question the accuracy of the thing until I saw the Skanks announcers rated dead last. They are the only ones I have to turn off when in the car.

BRob should be doing more games soon, but not sure if they will be TV or radio.

At least we get to agree on this one:

30. New York Yankees

Main Broadcasters: John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman

Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.5, 1.7, 2.0

Representative Reader Comment

“As a Yankee fan, I am thankful for MLB At Bat.”

Notes

It’s difficult to find any feedback among the readers’ comments that doesn’t merely resort, at some point, to an ad hominen attack on the Yankees’ radio team. Which, that’s unfortunate. But also: probably indicative of the sort of frustration a FanGraphs reader might have attempting to comsume a Yankees game by way of the radio feed.

I would have guessed a higher place but I'm not outraged.

I really like listening to Angel but I wouldn't say he's perfect, and all the other broadcasters are weaker.

One odd thing I've noticed this year with Angel is that he repeats some of his mini-stories almost verbatim. I've heard him talk in three separate games about how the Yankees bullpen trio was going to have some games this year where they came on and struck out 9 batters. None of those games were against the Yankees and he said pretty much the same exact words each time.

Angel gets big points from me since he as a native Spanish speaker gets a lot of surnames correct. He's got a terrific voice too. Hunter is better on radio than TV, I agree with that. I'd honestly love to hear a game with Angel doing PBP with Palmer as the color man but that won't ever happen since their strengths fit their respective medium better. I am glad we're playing the Dodgers this year in LA. I normally watch the games but when we're in LA, I'm putting on MLB AtBat and listening to Scully. I've never heard him call a entire Dodgers game before and it will be a treat to hear him call one of our games in his final year.

Over the years Scully has fallen in my book. He is not very quick, and has a hard time filling gaps, at least when I have heard him.

No one will ever live up to John Miller of my youth. Staying up late at night to listen to the West Coast games always made my parents mad. But when you have John Miller...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/

I for one think they are being way undervalued. When Hunter is in there 20 might make sense, but last night's dream team of Joe and Fred has got to be top 10, no?

I remember falling asleep to the games with my radio under my pillow, as not to get into trouble. I still get to hear John Miller though, since my wife is a SF fan.

Archived