Jameson Taillon, the kid who was drafted before Machado called up by Pirates

TINSTAAPP

The Jameson Taillon timer has ticked to zero.

Taillon, the right-hander drafted second overall in 2010, will debut with the Pirates tomorrow against the New York Mets and their turbo-charged right-hander Noah Syndergaard. The Pirates will delay left-hander Francisco Liriano?s scheduled start, bumping it to Saturday in New York City.

?Used to practice my autograph all day in middle school, and I would dream of making the call to my family and friends,? Taillon tweeted this afternoon. ?Crazy to think of how many people worked so hard with me and helped me on this journey! But, this journey is still just beginning!?

Taillon, 24, has a 2.04 ERA in 10 starts this season for Class AAA Indianapolis, with 61 strikeouts to six walks over 61 innings. He reached the Class AAA level in 2013 before Tommy John ligament-replacement surgery knocked out his 2014 season and hernia surgery kept him from playing for a Pirates affiliate in 2015.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pirates-Blog/2016/06/07/Pirates-prospect-Jameson-Taillon-to-debut-Wednesday-vs-Mets/stories/201606070187

Taillon seems like a very promising, young pitcher but Orioles fans should get down on their hands and knees to thank the Pirates for drafting him instead of Machado. Imagine the frustration on this board if Taillon had been drafted by the Orioles and went two years without throwing a single pitch. Best stroke of luck the Orioles have had in many, many years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pirates-Blog/2016/06/07/Pirates-prospect-Jameson-Taillon-to-debut-Wednesday-vs-Mets/stories/201606070187

Taillon seems like a very promising, young pitcher but Orioles fans should get down on their hands and knees to thank the Pirates for drafting him instead of Machado. Imagine the frustration on this board if Taillon had been drafted by the Orioles and went two years without throwing a single pitch. Best stroke of luck the Orioles have had in many, many years.

Yea, It'd be hard to imagine the O's taking a HS pitcher with a top 5 pick and then having him miss two seasons with injuries.

Taillon has long been favroite of mine since pitching very well for Canada against the US in the 2013 World Cup of Baseball. Taillon had only thrown 17 innings above A ball at the time - the US team was of course huge favorites. Canada lead 3-2 into th e8th - before losing 9-4 - but that almost counted as a win to me. (We're not a baseball rich nation exactly) You can relive the glory of that time Canada lead the US in baseball for few innings here: http://scores.espn.go.com/extra/baseball/wbbc/boxscore?gameId=330310113

Anyway, Taillon posted a 61:6 K/BB ratio and an ERA of 2.04 in 61.2 IP in AAA so far - I think he's going to be a star. Too bad about the injuries - but he's just 24 - still time to carve out a nice career.

Archived