135 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8+

This poll is closed to new votes

You're totally wrong on this.

It IS a business. And ventura is putting manny's livelihood at stake.

He deserves to get smacked in the face if only to teach him a lesson about screwing with another man's life/business.

Buck and most knowledgable o's fans understand and agree than manny had to do this, it goes beyond W's and L's which is all a suspension really changes.

Manny sent a message.

This reminds me of the fight in 1998 between the O's and the Yankees, only this time the O's aren't in the wrong.

[video=youtube;ZKIHNsf8O_A]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It IS a business. And ventura is putting manny's livelihood at stake.

He deserves to get smacked in the face if only to teach him a lesson about screwing with another man's life/business.

Good post, this is where I am on this one. This is a guy that drilled Manny on purpose in September of last year, and already tried to hit Manny twice in the second inning tonight. Then he connected in his next at bat. Manny has had some pretty serious injuries in his young career, and yes, he could have gotten hurt in the scrum tonight. But I don't blame him one bit for wanting to knock Ventura's stupid head off for the crap he pulled tonight, and in the past. Every time Ventura pulls something like that, he puts a guy's season and possibly career in jepoardy. I am fine with someone standing up for themselves in that situation.

Good post, this is where I am on this one. This is a guy that drilled Manny on purpose in September of last year, and already tried to hit Manny twice in the second inning tonight. Then he connected in his next at bat. Manny has had some pretty serious injuries in his young career, and yes, he could have gotten hurt in the scrum tonight. But I don't blame him one bit for wanting to knock Ventura's stupid head off for the crap he pulled tonight, and in the past. Every time Ventura pulls something like that, he puts a guy's season and possibly career in jepoardy. I am fine with someone standing up for themselves in that situation.

If machado charged the mound with a bat and swung at ventura's ribs, how would that be any different than what Ventura did?

Manny would be destroyed if he did that, but Ventura just keeps getting away with drilling guys with a 98 mph fastball that could end their season or worse.

It's absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable and manny absolutely did the right thing.

I just want to say this.

MLB will not suspend Ventura for a month, but really should. He has a long history including suspensions in the past.

Having said that I think Manny was wrong in charging the mound after he was hit.

I realize the retaliation thing plays well for Oriole fans, but he IS more valuable to us than Ventura is to the Royals. To lose Manny for any time is silly and it hurts the team much more than anything else. Manny shouldve waited at home plate and challened Ventura..but NEVER charge the mound let alone throw punches.

I understand the emotion and anger and desire, but THIS isnt high school or playground stuff.THIS IS A BUSINESS. You cannot have this kind of behavior on the field. If that makes me a "wuss" so be it. In ANY other business, physical altercations would result in suspensions or even termination.Manny can't, wont and shouldnt be fired..but he should be suspended and will be.I just hope its not against teams we need to beat like Boston or Toronto.

This is 100% the correct take on this. You may have a different opinion, but that opinion is wrong.

Has anyone seen the MLB app highlights for the game. They show the various teams announcer talking about the fight. The KC announcers said something along the lines of, "Our opinion is that teams are trying to bully the Royals - the A's and White Sox in particular - but the Royals had to find a point where they were going to fight back."

2) What the hell does that mean?

2) How can anyone say that?

3) And what does that have to do with Manny being beaned.

4) How were we bullying them?

It's with about 1 minute left in this clip here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=787801783

One other thing, shouldn't we be asking how big the fine is going to be? Doesn't matter as Adam Jones said he's going to pay it. Said he had zero problems with what Manny did. As did Buck. Buck even said he talked to manny before his at bat because he was afraid manny was going to get ambushed and hurt. Buck's daughter - a laywer - called before the presser and told him of defenses they should use to appeal the suspensions (provocation).

I thought the MASN post-game was good. Ubaldo's interview was amazing. He said Ventura is a super talent who needs professional help. Lots of people who are super talented aren't allowed to play the game due to behavior and he's on the path to joining them.

The KC manager even admitted that his players are tired of having to deal with Ventura.

I love how all the armchair high horse riders who never played the game come out to pass judgment. I would really like to hear the opinion of someone who knows what it's like to get hit in the ribs by a 99 mph FB.

Nah. There was no slam.

I think the KC catcher bear hugged him from behind and slung him down, which is very easy to do even to someone much larger than you -- especially if they're off balance.

Manny decked Ventura and it was awesome.

What kind of a guy is Ventura, anyway? Throwing inside, inside, WAY inside... the hitter stares at you... and you DRILL him on his next at-bat? Guy needs mental help.

Archived