Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but Harvey will probably struggle in an outing real soon and the speculation will fade away. I hope he's lights out for his, the O's, and our benefit. Just think of the fun conversation we will have in a month if he's cruising through lineups! :) But alas, reality is rather harsh, especially if you are an Orioles fan. ;)

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not particularly a hard innings cap guy, although I doubt turning him loose to throw as many innings as he earns is a good idea.

The hurting his future statement doesn’t necessarily mean injury, it could also stunt the development of his changeup and kill a year of service time before he’s ready. 

Just leave him in the minors and get him ready to compete for a 2019 rotation spot.

How many innings does he have in him this season? 90 - 100, maybe?

So, what is the best way to use those limited innings to prepare him to compete for a 2019 spot? 

Is it having him in the majors piggybacking, spot starting and pitching middle relief innings vs major league hitting, to major league catchers, around major league teammates and coaches, on a major league schedule?

Or is it getting 15 - 20 minor league starts split between Bowie and Norfolk and being shut down by early August?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

His point is, if Bundy had been healthy, he probably would have spent a good chunk of 2013 in the majors, not because he had to be, but because the O’s felt he was ready.    Bundy didn’t have to be in the majors until 2016.   So, that shows the O’s can move guys quickly when they believe in them.

That said, Harvey hasn’t been healthy and he has no exposure at all to the high minors, nor is he as highly regarded a prospect as Bundy was going into 2013 (Bundy was ranked no. 2 by BA and MLB.com, no. 4 by BP before that season).    He needs some minor league seasoning and the O’s need to manage his innings carefully.    

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I was about to respond, but what Frobby said. Bundy did not have to be promoted to the majors at 19. 

I am not ready to concede that singing Bundy to a ML contract was a mistake.

That might have been the only way to get the guy to sign on the dotted line, and he was a highly sought commodity at the time.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That might have been the only way to get the guy to sign on the dotted line, and he was a highly sought commodity at the time.

Can we really fault them? He has the voice of an angel. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Now I'm imagining a Bundy, Gausman, Cashner acapella group. I think I may have just inadvertently written the plot for Pitch Perfect 12 (released straight to DVD).

• Upvote 1

This season for Harvey is to build him up physically, mechanically, and mentally so that he can start for the Orioles in 2019.  They shouldn't be thinking about playing him in the majors this season, imo.  They should have a transparent plan and stick to it.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

This season for Harvey is to build him up physically, mechanically, and mentally so that he can start for the Orioles in 2019.  They shouldn't be thinking about playing him in the majors this season, imo.  They should have a transparent plan and stick to it.  

Oh, it's transparent alright...because it doesn't exist! ;)

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bundy is not a good comparison. He signed a ML deal (another big FO mistake), and because of that had to be rushed to the majors

I do not think he would have signed without that. I might suggest, in hindsight, it hurt him in the long run, being forced to be up too soon after his injury. Luckily, he has the make-up to be able to learn in the ML. I believe that ML deal thing is not allowed now.

When Bundy got the call-up in September, I seem to remember it was mentioned he'd get a taste of MLB, get a few innings and would see where things settled in the following year.

Harvey getting a September call-up (depending on his progression this year, of course) and then having to compete for a spot next year is ideal to me.  While the low level minor experience is a concern, 30 innings and several injuries a bit more.  While he may have MLB lineage, how many could make that jump, with fan expectations and not try too hard.  Ease him in, let the kid get some good vibes with his current health.

1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

When Bundy got the call-up in September, I seem to remember it was mentioned he'd get a taste of MLB, get a few innings and would see where things settled in the following year.

Harvey getting a September call-up (depending on his progression this year, of course) and then having to compete for a spot next year is ideal to me.  While the low level minor experience is a concern, 30 innings and several injuries a bit more.  While he may have MLB lineage, how many could make that jump, with fan expectations and not try too hard.  Ease him in, let the kid get some good vibes with his current health.

You really think he will still be pitching in September if he is getting regular starts in the minors?

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You really think he will still be pitching in September if he is getting regular starts in the minors?

I think it depends on how fast that put him in a starter role or if they build him up a little slower.

Bundy was out of options, so it's a different situation.  However, his 2016 was after 2 years of not pitching.  They ultimately got 110 innings out of him that year.  If the idea is to get him a full season of work, would they really give him a full/regular starter load from day one?  They started doing 6 days, instead of 5 for Bundy at the end of the year.  We'll see how they use him early on, but that's why I mentioned how he progresses.  If they take it slow, I don't see a few innings in low leverage situations being a problem (Bundy had 29 pitches for 5 outs in 2012).  If he hits 100 innings by July, then no, I don't expect to see him pitching anywhere as fall approaches.

3 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I think it depends on how fast that put him in a starter role or if they build him up a little slower.

Bundy was out of options, so it's a different situation.  However, his 2016 was after 2 years of not pitching.  They ultimately got 110 innings out of him that year.  If the idea is to get him a full season of work, would they really give him a full/regular starter load from day one?  They started doing 6 days, instead of 5 for Bundy at the end of the year.  We'll see how they use him early on, but that's why I mentioned how he progresses.  If they take it slow, I don't see a few innings in low leverage situations being a problem (Bundy had 29 pitches for 5 outs in 2012).  If he hits 100 innings by July, then no, I don't expect to see him pitching anywhere as fall approaches.

I think Harvey runs out of innings and will see him in ST, next season, is my gut feeling.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t the same crowd severely underrate Sisco because he climbed the ladder?  Winning batting titles at two stops. Defense blah blah blah. People did the same with Mancini  

This isn’t my decision.  We all have smart phones and HD TVs  Tune into the ST games, or at least watch the highlights posted here.  We will get to see this all play out .

Luke and Weems did an awesome job this offseason going with keeping the conversation going with reports on guys like Cortes and Mesa, but the reality is that those guys are longer shots than Harvey to go North as the #5.  I don’t want to say I told you so. 

Stay tuned.  Take a couple minutes and watch his ST(over the entire ST) vids compared to the other competitors. We will get to see this all play out.

Yeah, but Cortes and Mesa go away if they don't make the Os; Hunter does not.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I think Harvey runs out of innings and will see him in ST, next season, is my gut feeling.

Certainly not trying to say I expect a September call-up.  My point was more to those talking about him coming up sooner. 

I also won't pretend to know what the Orioles are thinking.  Any time I spend thinking I might, they do other things that give me headaches.  I guess I should have worded the original post to say that would be his fast track/best case to the majors in my book.  Not that it was likely.

Just now, jerios55 said:

Certainly not trying to say I expect a September call-up.  My point was more to those talking about him coming up sooner. 

I also won't pretend to know what the Orioles are thinking.  Any time I spend thinking I might, they do other things that give me headaches.  I guess I should have worded the original post to say that would be his fast track/best case to the majors in my book.  Not that it was likely.

Good post!

• Haha 1