Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Think how much more he would bring back in trade with an extra year of control!

What's the point? The Orioles don't think more than 2 years out clearly...frustrating.

On Harvey, Palmer seems very favorable about him on the telecast, I like that.  Love me some Palmer.

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm confused. I didn't say that at all. The Orioles were obviously very prepared to promote Bundy years before they were required. They did promote him years before they were required. 

Must have been the quotes with unnecessary quotes thing. That gets confusing. 

Edit: Very weird. I was quoting Frobbys post, but it’s showing my post that Frobby quoted. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty big IMO.    Even if I were inclined to have Harvey spend most of his time in Baltimore this year (which I’m not), I’d certainly have him pitch in the minors to start the year to ensure he’d still be under team control in 2024 (not 2025, by the way).

I agree with you and Corn to a large extent, but the Orioles seem oblivious to starting clocks. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty big IMO.    Even if I were inclined to have Harvey spend most of his time in Baltimore this year (which I’m not), I’d certainly have him pitch in the minors to start the year to ensure he’d still be under team control in 2024 (not 2025, by the way).

There’s only so many bullets in a pitcher’s arm. Fire those things at the mlb level if ready.  

For the people that think why even bring up Harvey this year because we’re going to finish last, aren’t we predicted for that every year?  

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s only so many bullets in a pitcher’s arm. Fire those things at the mlb level if ready.  

For the people that think why even bring up Harvey this year because we’re going to finish last, aren’t we predicted for that every year?  

You have to learn the basics of pro pitching at the minor league level.

Even Mussina as good as he was, spent time in the minors.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There are two separate issues: (1) having Harvey on the OD roster and staying in the big leagues all year, or (2) having Harvey reach the majors at some point this year.

Issue 1 is a no-brainer.    Harvey has no experience above Low A, isn’t ready to pitch in the majors, and can’t throw enough innings to get through a full season.    Using up a full season of service time now, thus depriving us of a year on the back end when he’ll likely be in his prime, would be absolutely nuts.

As to Harvey getting his feet wet at some point this year, I’m open to the idea, but let’s see how he pitches in the minors before we get ahead of ourselves and worry about this.     When he’s posting a sub-3.00 ERA in AA, I’ll worry about it.     

Its really about whether  Bundy, Gausman, Cashman and Tillman are ready to start by Opening Day plus if the O's have someone else ready to be the 5th starter.

If the O's acquire another starter Harvey is in the minors.

If one of Cortes, Weight , Ynoa, Mesa is ready to be a starter in the majors then Harvey starts the year in the minors. because the O's will have to put these guys through waivers if they can't make the team.

If any other other starter in camp pitches as well as Harvey, Harvey starts the year in the minors. That currently includes Aquino, Asher, Melville, Hess, Ramirez, and Wojo who have currently pitched two innings in an appearance. Castro could join that group by pitching two inning in a B game today.   He has been slowed by  knee soreness..

Its a pretty high bar for Harvey to be in the majors.  He could go to the minors for month for two and if he pitches outstanding could then be back in the majors.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its really about whether  Bundy, Gausman, Cashman and Tillman are ready to start by Opening Day plus if the O's have someone else ready to be the 5th starter.

If one of Cortes, Weight , Ynoa, Mesa is ready to be a starter in the majors then Harvey starts the year in the minors. because the O's will have to put these guys through waivers if they can't make the team.

If any other other starter in camp pitches as well as Harvey, Harvey starts the year in the minors. That currently includes Aquino, Asher, Melville, Hess, Ramirez, and Wojo who have currently pitched two innings in an appearance.

Its a pretty high bar for Harvey to be in the majors.  He could go to the minors for month for two and if he pitches outstanding could then be back in the majors.

They may be wanting to keep him as a bullpen option down the road as they often like to shuttle a guy in here or there for a day to fill a need. Whether that's worth starting his MLB clock is another question. 

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If any other other starter in camp pitches as well as Harvey, Harvey starts the year in the minors. That currently includes Aquino, Asher, Melville, Hess, Ramirez, and Wojo who have currently pitched two innings in an appearance. Castro could join that group by pitching two inning in a B game today.   He has been slowed by  knee soreness..

There is no way, 2 months of pitching in the minors, makes him ready for the big leagues, this season.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:56 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I'm just repeating what one Oriole insider told me this week, and it's someone who knows, and it's not Jim Palmer. They said that Hunter Harvey could be pitching for the Orioles by June next year ....... if he gets enough innings at AA-Bowie ........

o

(6 Months Later)

For whatever reason(s), this notion that was perceived as being an ultra-longshot when Roy first brought it up back in early September is now being discussed as merely a longshot (minus the "ultra.")

If I had to bet on it, I would say that it won't happen ........ but if it does, remember that Roy said it first from his sources from the team, way back in September of 2017.

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(6 Months Later)

For whatever reason(s), this notion that was perceived as being an ultra-longshot when Roy first brought it up back in early September is now being discussed as merely a longshot (minus the "ultra.")

If I had to bet on it, I would say that it won't happen ........ but if it does, remember that Roy said it first from his sources from the team, way back in September of 2017.

o

It is still an ultra-longshot so far as I’m concerned.    Buck’s going to say encouraging things because that’s his nature.   But by March 15 or so, Harvey will be in minor league camp.  

Thinking about Harvey, I hope we don't rush him... And I think pushing him into the rotation this year would be rushing him, regardless. 

Problem is, our farm system still sucks, basically. And to me, that's the single biggest sin of the Orioles' past 20 years. Our farm system has

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is still an ultra-longshot so far as I’m concerned.    Buck’s going to say encouraging things because that’s his nature.   But by March 15 or so, Harvey will be in minor league camp.  

I seriously hope he stays in the minors all year. A September callup would be fine. But please just let the kid have a full, healthy season before throwing him into the fire...