Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

He was pretty good except to Betts, gave up a HR on a middle-middle FB. Threw a ton of plus curveballs, and flashed a double plus curve. Could throw the curve for strikes and also drop it for whiffs, no one hit it hard. Changeup wasn't used a lot, fairly non-descript, similar movement plane as the fastball, no velocity readings so I don't know the separation but it seemed firm. Threw two cutters, new pitch, they were just ok, but it was neat, never heard of him throwing that before. Command was so-so, but threw strikes.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:34 AM, JustanOsguy said:

I am interested in his desire to develop the changeup. It appears he has identified that as a deficiency in his arsenal. Given the plan to start him at Bowie, is he well served with  Kennie Steenstra as his pitching coach? 

He developed a cutter. 

Edit: Luke already spoke of that. 

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

The ERA is correct.

My box score was off. He ceded 3 runs, 2 of which were earned. I just fixed it ........ thanks.

oN

No, it was 2 runs, 1 earned.

Tanner Scott gave up the other one, which should have also been unearned. Presley dropped a routine flyball that was called a double.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

No, it was 2 runs, 1 earned.

Tanner Scott gave up the other one, which should have also been unearned. Presley dropped a routine flyball that was called a double.

Rep in advance. What did you think of the other slew of young arms today. Anyone else jump out?  Wish this was the pitching on tv now. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Rep in advance. What did you think of the other slew of young arms today. Anyone else jump out?  Wish this was the pitching on tv now. 

I posted a bit in the game thread, Tony had some good observations as well, check it out.

But, Baumann impressed me, was mostly FB but no one could get a barrel on it. 

Akin was solid, FB missed bats, didn't see a good changeup, slider was ok, located his pitches well.

Hanifee's stuff looked flat, the slider was a 40 today (it was 50 at times last year) and his FB wasn't moving as much. He threw strikes though and like Baumann, didn't get squared up. He's only 19, so big stage for him.

Lowther looked nervous, his delivery was all over the place for the first 10-12 pitches (very uncommon for him), even fell down throwing a pitch. Calmed down and threw some 50s and one 55 CB, fastball with some late life. Got some swings. Then didn't finish a FB and plunked Brock Holt, got removed from the game (pitch limit probably).

Meisinger got a couple strikeouts, command wasn't great.

Baumann and Akin saw MLB hitters.

Mountcastle hit an oppo home run and served a single up the middle off of a tough pitch.

Ryan McKenna grounded out, but he ran a sub 4 second home to first, that's an insanely fast time, that and the one grade 70 curveball from Harvey were the best highlights from a fun game.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I posted a bit in the game thread, Tony had some good observations as well, check it out.

But, Baumann impressed me, was mostly FB but no one could get a barrel on it. 

Akin was solid, FB missed bats, didn't see a good changeup, slider was ok, located his pitches well.

Hanifee's stuff looked flat, the slider was a 40 today (it was 50 at times last year) and his FB wasn't moving as much. He threw strikes though and like Baumann, didn't get squared up. He's only 19, so big stage for him.

Lowther looked nervous, his delivery was all over the place for the first 10-12 pitches (very uncommon for him), even fell down throwing a pitch. Calmed down and threw some 50s and one 55 CB, fastball with some late life. Got some swings. Then didn't finish a FB and plunked Brock Holt, got removed from the game (pitch limit probably).

Meisinger got a couple strikeouts, command wasn't great.

Baumann and Akin saw MLB hitters.

Mountcastle hit an oppo home run and served a single up the middle off of a tough pitch.

Ryan McKenna grounded out, but he ran a sub 4 second home to first, that's an insanely fast time, that and the one grade 70 curveball from Harvey were the best highlights from a fun game.

Thanks. Definitely a big stage for the arms. Good experience for all of them. I saw the Mountcastle homer, that was a shot. Sisco continues to rake. 

Harvey is staying pretty much all ST. See this article http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-hunter-harvey-isnt-going-down-soon-20180311-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Simulated game the next time it’s his go.  Then an “appearance” vs the Yankees on the 21st. Buck has mapped it out. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. Definitely a big stage for the arms. Good experience for all of them. I saw the Mountcastle homer, that was a shot. Sisco continues to rake. 

I’m searching for some Buck qoutes see if Harvey will get another start. 

I saw a quote from Buck that basically said this experience was doing him good.

Pretty sure he's penciled in for another start.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Pitches: )l (Unavailable, because I totally suck.

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable, because I totally suck.

o

o

I made up for it with a nice overall breakdown of Andrew Cashner's outing in the 2nd portion of today's double feature (Harvey/Cashner), including the balls-and-strikes breakdown for the pitches-per-inning.

Now, I only partially suck.

o