Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Idk about Hyde’s logic. How are you building confidence by saying pitch around these two batters?  

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The "strategy" won the game.

I’m not convinced it was a strategy at all. Hyde sounded complimentary of Harvey ‘not giving in’ to Rendon and Soto while walking both of them. He said Harvey pitches to the edges and wasn’t ‘middle-middle’ with his FB. I don’t know what in any of that confirms it was necessarily a strategy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The "strategy" won the game. It is illogical to argue that the strategy was not sound logic "winning game wise" when they won the freaking game. Sometimes the hypotheticals get so convoluted that we miss the obvious: They won the freaking game. 

I don’t buy this logic.   You can make a poor decision and it can still turn out right.    That doesn’t mean it was a good decision from the standpoint of maximizing the chances of winning.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t buy this logic.   You can make a poor decision and it can still turn out right.    That doesn’t mean it was a good decision from the standpoint of maximizing the chances of winning.   

Having your most talented reliever in the game is a winning strategy. If the object was to win the game, then who else besides Givens maybe would you want in that situation ? 

40 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not convinced it was a strategy at all. Hyde sounded complimentary of Harvey ‘not giving in’ to Rendon and Soto while walking both of them. He said Harvey pitches to the edges and wasn’t ‘middle-middle’ with his FB. I don’t know what in any of that confirms it was necessarily a strategy.

Hence the quotes. 

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Having your most talented reliever in the game is a winning strategy. If the object was to win the game, then who else besides Givens maybe would you want in that situation ? 

Mind you, I’m not second guessing Hyde’s decision.    I didn’t even watch the game.   I just don’t agree with the logic of, “the decision turned out well, therefore it was a good decision.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I’m not sure I have a strong opinion about the number of pitches Harvey through, but I disagree that Givens is our best pitcher. As I say that, I have to confess that I’m not sure who is our best pitcher, however.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Im not sure I have a strong opinion about the number of pitches Harvey threw, but I disagree that Givens is our best pitcher. As I say that, I have to confess that I’m not sure who is our best pitcher, however.

o

"You got the lineup for tonight ???"

"I'm working on it."

"Who's pitching ???"

"I just feel 'em, one by one ........ whoever's warm goes to the mound."

Jack Warden, Manager of the hapless Hoboken Zephyrs

o

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

"You got the lineup for tonight ???"

"I'm working on it."

"Who's pitching ???"

"I just feel 'em, one by one ........ whoever's warm goes to the mound."

Jack Warden, Manager of the hapless Hoboken Zephyrs

o

That made me laugh. I hope Wojo is plenty warm tonight.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mind you, I’m not second guessing Hyde’s decision.    I didn’t even watch the game.   I just don’t agree with the logic of, “the decision turned out well, therefore it was a good decision.”

The logic for winning the game was use the most talented bullpen pitcher and that’s what Hyde did. It worked. How can you or anybody else fault Hyde for that? I was not promoting what you quoted. I was directly responding to the proposition that leaving Harvey in was an illogical strategy if Hyde’s goal was to win the game. I think Harvey was the most talented pitcher available, by far. 

P.s.  I went back and reread my posts and I can see how you might think that’s what I meant, but I was commenting on the idea that leaving Harvey in the game was inconsistent with wanting to win the game. Even if Ubaldo had gotten three outs that still would have been a crazy move. 

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure I have a strong opinion about the number of pitches Harvey through, but I disagree that Givens is our best pitcher. As I say that, I have to confess that I’m not sure who is our best pitcher, however.

I did not say Givens was the Orioles best pitcher. 

o

The solo home run that Harvey ceded was the 1st Earned Run of his young MLB career.

3 OUTS: ) 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. ROYALS, 8/31)

IP:ll.1

H:lllll 1 ) (1 Home Run)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll1

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l 23 (14 )Strikes,  ))Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 1.80  )l  5.00 IP  (1 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.400  )l  5.00 P  (7 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .167 )l (3 for 18)

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(14 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

o

On the HR, he started with an inside breaking ball on the first pitch.  Once I saw Sisco call for the outside fastball, my first thought was, he knows that pitch is coming and he's going to hit it hard.  I would have called for another breaking ball, probably in the bottom part of the zone/dirt.